Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > Feeding your pregnant and lactating does

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
jaytori220

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Feeding your pregnant and lactating does

How and what do you guys feed your pregnant and lactating does? I have a boerxnubian doe who will be bred next week with her next heat. Ive never had a pregnant doe before so this will be my first kidding. And her 3rd. Im leaning towards Triple Crown 14% Performance textured horse feed and alfalfa pellets starting 2 months before kidding through lactation. She already gets free choice Bermuda hay and small amount of the pellets my pony gets. She refuses any and all minerals. We have a very limited choosing of goat feeds here and I feel the quality for the money is less to the abundant amount of quality horse feeds we have to choose from. Im not sure what I should do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9582 Times on 6944 Posts
Likes Given: 2278

If she refuses all minerals, then I would get Replamin Plus and give her 5 cc weekly. It is in a 30 cc tube so get the gun too. It has a setting for 5 cc so very easy to administer.

Karen Salvagno

Home to 1 Nigerian Dwarf, 1 LaMancha and 1 Nubian/LaMancha along with 3 dogs, 4 cats and 1 understanding DH

Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2392 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2593

My goats get fed the same thing as my horses also. They get fed extra grain the month before breeding and then a little during pregnancy. During lactation, they get extra also....if we are milking, they get all they want while on the stand and not at any other time (makes them WANT to get on the stand!) I would still put the loose minerals out. They may be eating a little of it when you don't see them. I've never seen an animal refuse minerals....usually they eat what they need and it isn't a huge amount. If you're sure they are not eating any, then I'd go with Karen's suggestion.

Carmen
Co-owner and operator of Oleo Acres LLC

Old 01-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
jaytori220

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe she refuses it because the pellets I give are highly fortified. It's Triple Crown Lite. For ponies and easy keepers. And you can feed very little to get the nutrients. I'm wondering if she will eat it in a sweet feed type feed? I've left minerals out for her before. For months. Never touched them.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

That could be. My motto is: Don't fix what ain't broke! If they are healthy and doing great on what you're feeding....then I would't change it. I think I'd still leave a little bit of mineral out at all times. Up the feed just before breeding (increases your chances of multiples...called flushing) and then cut back in the last month of pregnancy to avoid huge babies. Up the feed again during lactation. Sounds like you're on the right track!

Carmen

Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
jaytori220

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The lady I got her from said that if I'm gonna breed her to make sure she gets a sweet feed the last 2 months of pregnancy to avoid ketosis. How true is that and how can I avoid it? I'm thinking that's why I'm wanting to switch her. Plus the pellets are only a 12% protein.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

I don't know about that. I feed a sweet mix all the time. My mix is 3 parts oats, 3 parts cracked corn, 3 parts alfalfa pellets and 1 part BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) with enough molasses to bind it together...about 2% molasses, maybe. I'm going to start adding 50 pounds of calf manna to 1000 pounds of mix next time. My goats, horses and potbelly pig all get this mix. I have mineral out full time for everybody along with a salt block. Feeding this, we DID have one case of toxemia 2 years ago (my hubby was doing the feeding and missed the signs until she was critical...we lost both her and all 3 babies she had)

Carmen

Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

OR...you could just add molasses to the drinking water??? Then she would get the molasses to help prevent ketosis??

Carmen

Quick Reply