You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > goats dieing/kidding complications HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
312InchMagnum

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default goats dieing/kidding complications HELP

first off i am new to raising goats..we had 5 pygmies...2 males/3 females...all different bloodlines...well ive lost 2 does and at least 2 kids in the last month...they are over a year old...

i know the first mistake i made was not keeping the bucks/does separated early...i was advised that it didnt matter...well known breeder i got a couple from said she has never kept her separated and never had isses...well,now i know...i should have kept them separated so i could have at least known how far along they were

here is the story...had a smaller doe i knew was pregnant...knew she was close, but not sure how close...kept a close eye on her...she is really small, so i had been worried about her...went to check on them one evening and 2 kids were dead...looked like they still had quite a bit of mucous on them....i assume they died during birth...she was ok...i could tell she was pretty run down, but she was eating good...1 week later found the doe dead...i assume she maybe had some internal damage...

next...decently bigger doe i knew was pregnant, noticed her "private" was larger than i remember about a month ago, so i figured she was close...was checking on her like crazy every day...never anything...well i had a pretty busy day today, wife is out of town, just went to check on them when i got home and found her dead laying down...turned her over and saw the "white stringy" mucous at her private...looks like she didnt even get to pass the mucous plug and died...i had high hopes for her as she was much bigger than the other that died...not even sure there would have been much i could have done if i was there as she didnt even get far along in labor...

im pretty dang discouraged at this point...i know pygmies commonly have birthing problems due to their size....any advice/recommendations?...i am now down to one small doe and 2 beautiful bucks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
MsScamp

Liked 2721 Times on 1809 Posts
Likes Given: 939

Send a message via Skype™ to MsScamp

Oh jeez! Kidding out goats is difficult enough without an idiot breeder giving you bad advice. I am so sorry! At this point all I can say is to try to not beat yourself up - you're new and you trusted someone that didn't have a clue. I'm very sorry you learned it this way, but you now know separating bucklings and doelings is very important. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Pygmy's so I will bow out now. There are a number of good people that do raise Pygmy's on here and I'm sure they will be able to help.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4441 Times on 2898 Posts
Likes Given: 3740

Oh golly this is a tough one. Sorry you have had to deal with so much loss in such a short period of time.
Several things could have happened to cause this aside from running bucks & does together. Hind sight on that one.
What kind of hay & grain & amounts?

Old 03-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
312InchMagnum

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

coastal hay, they also are let out to graze from time to time...usually a few big cups of moores sheep and goat daily...

Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Abra

Liked 524 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I hope you have better luck with your last girl. I can completely understand how this can feel. So unnerving and frustrating, hopeless, and it makes you feel like a failure, like you didn't do enough... Like it's YOUR fault...! But it's NOT!
When we are new, (and we have ALL been there!) we listen to those we believe know better. Those we believe we can TRUST... Those with experience. Those who should know better... Those who should give good, sound advice... Those we BOUGHT the goats FROM in the FIRST place..!!!
We never expect to hear BAD advice from those who 'just want to get rid' of something that we are buying, something we (personally) KNOW will be special to US. THEY, have NO concerns, fears, or reservations about how THEIR failure in advice will affect US when our hearts are broken!

I am SOOOOOOO So so sorry for your losses! Don't be discouraged though.
It might be late now, but cut off grain.
Who knows what they were bred with! (Boer? Nubian? Any other large breed?)

First, I would say, separate the bucks. Immediately.
Second, Keep the doe as comfortable and warm as possible without overheating her, have a Vet on stand-by, and keep an eye on her constantly.
Have water and hay available at all times.
Make sure all vitamin and mineral needs have been met!

Do you have anyone that is goat-knowledgeable that you can call?
If not, I would call a Vet at the first sign of trouble.!!!

I wish you, and your last remaining doe all the very best of luck!
(((((((((HUGS TO YOU BOTH))))))))))

Old 03-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
312InchMagnum

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

when should you cut off grain and why?

Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Abra

As far as I know, cutting off grain during the end of pregnancy helps to prevent over-sized kids. (kids are smaller when born, therefore, easier to kid)
Also, it helps to prevent a 'congested udder". Something I, personally, am familiar with!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
Abra

PS: My heart really breaks for you. I REALLY, REALLY hope your last girl has her little ones safely! Really REALLY!!!
Since you got them after they were bred, you can never be 100% sure WHAT They were bred with.... Larger breed buck bred to a smaller breed doe can mean trouble. (NOT always, but sometimes it can!)
I hate to see anyone be discouraged from goats because of some "morons" mistakes and advice!
(SORRY ALL FOR THE BAD LANGUAGE!)
8 years ago, I ould not imagine having goats (even 7 years ago, they were Eeew!), and now, I could never see my life without my goat girls in it! They are my Sunshine on a cloudy day!
They always make me smile when I feel sad. They never fail.

I am new to goats myself. I have 3 First time Fresheners due soon. Their first time having kids, and MY first time tending to First Timers!!!
I am FREAKING OUT a bit. Really, and I mean, REALLY REALLY scared. But I am being hopeful...
AND....
I have a GREAT mentor... SUZY! (Yes! I said your name! Sue me! LOL)
Suzy is AMAZING. She is like an Angel in my life.
When I freak, need help, and my head is falling off, she's there to screw my head back on straight, slap me, and throw some ice-cold water on me to get me sane again!!!

Last edited by Abra; 03-01-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3091 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 3618

Yes, cut off the grain to prevent the kid/kids growing any bigger. UNLESS your girl is super skinny then she needs that extra energy. Since these girls have been running with the buck you are going to have no clear idea when they are going to kid...that makes it even tougher. Do you have a vet? If not...FIND ONE. Now, before you really need them. Get your last doe into the vet for a full fecal, a vaginal swab to check for chlamydia (a google search says it's by blood test?) or anything else, a sono to see just how big her kid/kids are. I'm guessing it's too late to post the one that just died? How long ago are we talking? If it was just yesterday, call a vet out to post it...That will tell you a lot.

Carmen
Co-owner and operator of Oleo Acres LLC

Old 03-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10598 Times on 7650 Posts
Likes Given: 2319

How old were these does when the we're bred?

I'm sorry your experience has been so tough.

Karen Salvagno
Salvagno Farm

Quick Reply