You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management >

help pack rats invading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
clearwtrbeach

Liked 947 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 997

Default help pack rats invading

So we moved on to this 100-110 yr old farm house in March with more pack rats and grey diggers than I think I've ever seen. The first 4 mos I trapped 1-2 mice a week in th ehouse! The shop is out of control.Due to small acreage goats are in large paddocks and mainly hay fed. Chickens are in a coop and run, due to severe predators, coons, coyotes, and cougars. We lost 5-6 chickens in June to a coon, he's gone thanks to a well placed 22. I don't really want to have cats here, nor does my hubby. We, again thanks to 22 have thinned out the destructive grey diggers- only thinned out mind you. BUT, the packrats are horrible, and mice of course. We had thinned the pack rat pop during the summer only to have it explode again. We're using traps and poison (where the livestock can't get to it). In the shop, I'm going to throw some under the house and in the attic- no I don't want them rotting but eating wires and being in my living area is unacceptable! I've even had to place poison in my car trunk! NOW it's the chicken feed! I fill their giant feeder which use to last a good 2 weeks. Two days ago hubby stepped out to see a pack rat through the opening in the coop and again met a 22. I went out while doing water and eggs today and the amount that should've lasted over 2 wks is gone in about 4 days! I can't afford to feed them too and don't know what else to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
KarmakeeFarm

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sticky traps work great but for that kinda problem I would borrow some barn cats good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16539 Times on 12176 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

Can you get an old chest freezer to keep feed in? That should keep them out of the feed.

You need several barn cats. If you don't want cats, then you will probably have to redouble your efforts with all the different kinds of rat traps.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
clearwtrbeach

We have lots of traps. I have most feed in cans, or in my extra milking area (mouse proof- well as of yet). The biggest problem is the actual chicken feeder that I usually fill, then I started filling it half way to see if I was crazy or not. I told my husband this afternoon, I may put 'some' in the feeder in the morning until I get the amount they will consume during the day; leaving it empty at night and see what that does.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
crocee

Liked 460 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Look around where the chicken feeder is for holes. You can put a brick or other heavy object in the hole to block it off. Then get a trap and place it where the chickens can't get to it. For rats you can use the small havaheart traps but mice will go through and laugh as they're doing it. If you live near or surrounded by fields a dozen cats is just about the only option. You don't have to feed them so they will earn they're keep.

Another option I've heard works is to put fox urine down.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Arkie

Liked 612 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 128

We decided the cats were the lesser of two evils. Still trap an occasional coon or 'possum, but they aren't that big a problem yet. 'Course we haven't got our chickens yet either.

Bob

Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
clearwtrbeach

[QUOTE=Arkie;1307243]We decided the cats were the lesser of two evils. Still trap an occasional coon or 'possum, but they aren't that big a problem yet. 'Course we haven't got our chickens yet either.

I hear you just wait until you add chickens

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 13691 Times on 7567 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Here's an idea. Put a rimmed tub bigger around then the chicken feeder bottom under where it hangs. Put a couple bricks to let the rats up. Make the feeder 4 or 5 inches above it. Fill it half full of water. The chickens will all perch on the tub rim to eat. The rats will reach for the food and fall in the water...

Last edited by goathiker; 01-25-2013 at 11:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Texas.girl
Adopted by Goats

Liked 505 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

I had lots of mice in my bathroom my first year hear. Then I got a couple of 9 month old kittens from a neighbor. I have only seen one mouse in the house since getting the 2 cats.

Itís all Lawn Mowerís fault. She showed up one day and then asked for some playmates. I now a herd of goats, two cats, a dog, and a flock of egg laying chickens, 2 roosters, and 12 baby chicks.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Arkie

Liked 612 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Goathiker's post reminded me of these;

http://fivegallonideas.com/extremely-effective-mouse-trap/

I've never used one, but I've seen positive comments about them on various other forums I've visited in the past.

Bob

Quick Reply