Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > how cold is too cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
goatshows

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default how cold is too cold

How cold is too cold for goats to handle? at what temp do you put coats on your goats?

Rebecca
Rebeka Acres

http://www.freewebs.com/rebekaacres

We have many 2014 doelings for sale and taking reservations on 2015 breedings!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Breezy-Trail

Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Re: how cold is too cold

I raise full size dairy goats, I am no expert.
This is just what I will be doing-
If it is freezing (less than 32) I will only let then out for 2-4 hrs (or whenever they have no more interest in the outdoors). If its warmer they will have access to the outside.
If its colder than 20 during the day I won't let them out, unless they have been inside for a while of which they might only be out long enough for me to clean out.

I don't plan on using coats. I am going to make some kid coats off of 2 lamb fleeces and one that I will be getting soon (table food). I will use leather string to tie it around them if it is still cold in Feb (when my does will kid). That way the little kids could stay warm with minimal use of a heat lamp.

~Jesse
Breezy Trail Dairy Goats
www.breezytrail.weebly.com
http://www.facebook.com/Breezytraildairygoats
^^Like us on Facebook!! ^^
Raising Registered American Alpines and PB LaManchas.

.Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
cdtrum

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's not so much the cold as it is the wind and wet cold that they can't handle.....you really don't want to use coats on adults unless they are sick or have hair loss.....use extra bedding for them to really snuggle down in......I do use a heat lamp once it starts getting down into the low 20's, but you have have to really take precautions and safety measures as they can be really dangerous.

Also hot water...my guys love hot water when it's cold.....I give them a bucket of hot water before bed time and then again first thing in the morning!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
freedomstarfarm

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mine never get coats they are not locked in. They do just fine with the cold weather here. We get snow and cold but it rarely goes down into the teens for too long.

Last year I had kids in March and there were lots of days with snow on the ground. This year I will be having kids starting end of Feb so I am expecting snow. I have barn stalls this time and will use coats on kids if needed.

Nigerian Dwarf Goats
http://FreedomStarFarm.com

Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
simplynewt

Living in Alabama, I doubt it will be cold enough to require coats for the goats but do appreciate the hot water tip. I assume that when you are speaking of hot water, you are talking about right out of the tab, correct?

Being that goats do not like water, how do they fare with snow? It does occasionally snow here and need to know if they can be let out to eat (the feeder is not in their pen) or should I make plans to feed them differently on snow days?

"Now then, my flock, I, the Sovereign LORD, tell you that I will judge each of you and separate the good from the bad, the sheep from the goats.
Ezekiel 34:17

One Wife - Five Hens - Two Pygmys - One Nubian - Two Dogs - One Cat - One Cockatiel

Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Itchysmom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't used coats. It gets pretty cold her in Jan/Feb with wind out of the north...from Canada. Their pen is mostly covered altho some snow if the wind is blowing will get in on the north side. They have plenty of bedding, a x-lg dog igloo and little niches they can crawl into. My kids were born in June this year so it was warm. Next year kids might be born in April/May, so still warm enough I think. Plus they will be cuddled up against moms.

It can get as low as -30 here and I have heard it has gotten as low as -45. If it gets that low, I will just make sure they have hay and that all the wind blocks are in place!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4125 Times on 2703 Posts
Likes Given: 3457

Like others have already mentioned, they need dry bedding. In winter I keep top dressing heavily.
They have a 3 sided shelter with a car canopy over that to extend the space. The hay rack is underneath.
When it snows or gets freezing they do just fine.
I have a friend in eastern Wa that goes out during the snow & the snowdrifts move, they will stand up & shake off the snow. They are Boers.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2729 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 570

cold is relative to whats the normal temp - if it drops like 40 degrees and they arent ready then thats "to cold" but that temp could then also be normal come a couple months when their bodies are ready for it. I only put a coat on my goats once when a I had a doe in February just fully shed out her winter coat and then her outer coat as well! So she was going bald in 30degree weather!!

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1278 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

Mine have a barn to go into, I have wind breaks over the goat size doors and they come in and out as they please. The only coats on goats here are when the kids decide to arrive in single digit temps, Mama's have their own draft free stalls, I get babies thoroughly dry then put sweaters on them for their first few days...when the temps are up in the 20's through the day, sweaters are off and kids learn to acclimate to temps. Deep dry bedding is a must for cold winter months. Adults soak up as much sun through the day as weather allows and if it's windy and snowy they are inside.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
goatsnmore

Our temps get down to -20, a couple weeks each winter. We do not put coats on our goats. We offer wind free goat sheds, bedded down heavily with straw. Last Feb, when we kidded, the temps were below zero the entire time. The kidding sheds have heat lamps. As other people have said, it's not so much the cold that bothers them....it's wind, rain, snow.

Quick Reply