Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > Should I breed for milk or conformation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Blessed_Assurance_Acres

Default Should I breed for milk or conformation?

Last year my only milking doe gave me two doelings. I had them bred in the fall and this spring they kidded. I kept good records and one sister gave an average of a quart a day more than the other. But the low producer had a bit better conformation, slightly lower rump and better attached udder. I never would have guessed she would give less unless I had bred them both at the same time.

I'm a home milker and milk production is why I keep breeding. I have access to high quality show bucks to breed to and believe in breeding up each year. Both of these first fresheners gave me doelings. Is there any way to predict who will be the best milkers without having to breed a total of five does (one established milker and four doelings) this fall?

Since I am breeding up each year to a different really nice buck with good milk lines, am I hurting the long term milk production or health of the herd in any way by choosing to breed the daughters of the "not as nice looking but better producing" doe over the "nice looking but less milk" doe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9354 Times on 6793 Posts
Likes Given: 2274

I would go with what is most important to you. Is there a significant difference in udder attachment. The other doe could be a great producer next year too. Poor attachment will only be helped so much with a good buck. But then again if milk is most important. You still want good conformation since you want these girls to lactate a long time.

Karen Salvagno

Home to 1 Nigerian Dwarf, 1 LaMancha and 1 Nubian/LaMancha along with 3 dogs, 4 cats and 1 understanding DH

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Liked 5216 Times on 3500 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Well, I would definitely say breed for both, but if you just want milk, than breed for udders.

Little Bits N' Pieces Livestock
Bred by Choice, Not by Chance

http://lbnpdairygoats.weebly.com/index.html

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
caprine crazy
Boer Lover 4 Life!

Liked 445 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 2868

Send a message via AIM to caprine crazy

Well, being that these are both FFs, I wouldn't expect too much in the milk department. As the does grow, so does the udder capacity so maybe next season she'll give 2 quarts. Does always produce more on their second lactation than on their first. So, I would breed her again, but if you still aren't pleased with the amount of milk she's giving then I would consider selling her.

"For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son, and whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life"~John 3:16

Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
lottsagoats

Liked 636 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Personally, I would rather have a more correct doe that gives a little less than a doe that pounds out the milk but has a horrible body. The one with the less amount of milk will last a long time (all things being equal) because her body will stand up to the test of time, and produce more over that life time than one who only lives/produces a few years because he body breaks down. I want my does producing well into their teen years. That is only achieved with good dairy conformation.

Quick Reply