You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management >

working with a wooden floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
traceykindall

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default working with a wooden floor

I am preparing to get goats this spring, and here is my question: I have a really nice shed my son built for the goats, but it has a wooden floor - thick plywood that sits about 8" or so above the ground surface. How can I ensure the wood lasts as long as possible? Should I seal it, and if so, with what? Should we drill some holes in it to ensure drainage? If I had it to do over again, I would have an earth floor, but for now I need to work with the wood. Also, I am thinking of using a mix of straw and pine shavings as bedding - any thoughts? Thanks for feedback!

-- Tracey in Idaho

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Suzanne_Tyler
GreenTGoats

Liked 2246 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1933

Bed it deeply and change the bedding often. Depending on how you manage your goats, they might not use the shelter that much anyways, especially if you have some other sort of covering like an overhang.

GreenTHomestead.com

Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Chopsgoats

Liked 253 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Our barn has a wood floor and I used commercial rubber roofing on the floor. We put shavings down to soak up any urine and it has worked out quite well. We have had 5 Nigerians in there. It cleans really easy and the wood underneath never gets wet. Have had this set up for about 16 years now

Quick Reply