Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Beginners Goat Raising > Dam raise VS bottle raise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
HarmonyLane
Harmony Lane

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Dam raise VS bottle raise

I am new to goats....7 months into it but have started with 6 very nice does. 3 LaMancha's and 3 Alpines. I am leaning towards Dam raising, putting the kids up at night and milking only in the mornings. I plan to use the milk for personal/family use and make a little cheese and soap. I understand all about the CAE prevention and my Does have come from CAE free breeders (only 2 breeders). I plan to test for CAE each year and I plan to show. How many people show and Dam raise and is it working for you? any problems with does ramming the kids to death (like I have heard)? any advise on this subject would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4149 Times on 2719 Posts
Likes Given: 3478

Everyone has their own preference re: dam or bottle raised for their own reasons.
Our dam fed kids are just as friendly as any bottle kid minus the obnoxiousness.
As for ramming, do you mean inutero or after kids are born?
No one has ever hurt someone else's kid.
In almost 8 years only one abortion from being repeatedly rammed against a bldg by a herd queen.
It came back to bite her in the behind, she hasn't settled since.

Last edited by nancy d; 11-13-2013 at 08:43 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
J.O.Y. Farm
~Crazy Goat Lady~

Liked 8251 Times on 5767 Posts
Likes Given: 4603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonyLane View Post
I am new to goats....7 months into it but have started with 6 very nice does. 3 LaMancha's and 3 Alpines. I am leaning towards Dam raising, putting the kids up at night and milking only in the mornings. I plan to use the milk for personal/family use and make a little cheese and soap. I understand all about the CAE prevention and my Does have come from CAE free breeders (only 2 breeders). I plan to test for CAE each year and I plan to show. How many people show and Dam raise and is it working for you? any problems with does ramming the kids to death (like I have heard)? any advise on this subject would be appreciated.
I dam raise and have had no problems.. This far.. I love my dam raised kids not so pushy and in your face like bottle kids lol!
I let mom and kids stay together day and night for two weeks.. At one week I start milking in the am.. Though they are still with mom so it's not much... But it's mostly to get my FFs used to being milked.. Then start a full fill at two weeks.. Then wean at 8-9 weeks..

Any other things you would like to know? Sorry, I know I am missing stuff.. It's been a long day lol

http://jfdairygoats.weebly.com/
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me;..... Psalm 23:4
*Now Taking 2015 Kid Reservations!*
People Like This 
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
HarmonyLane
Harmony Lane

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Default As for ramming, do you mean inutero or after kids are born?

After the kids are born is what I meant, a friend said it has happened to a breeder friend of hers....and do you show your goats? does that pose a problem when you have to show and they are still on mama? that was the other "con" my friend brought to my attention; hauling the kids to the show and hoping in with mama and nurse her out before the show, and or leave them at home and struggle to get them to take a bottle. Any thoughts? I REALLY appreciate all the information, I can't tell you!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
J.O.Y. Farm
~Crazy Goat Lady~

My guys have always been gentle with the babies.. They let them know they mean it.. But mine have never hurt any of the kids before..

When I have kids born/nursing in show season I either, put them in a crate for the trip to the show, and bring a dog Xpen for them and another for the does, and then after I milk the does half-3/4 way out I let them nurse.. Or I leave them home with a doe that I'm not showing and give them a bottle.. If they are hungry enough they will take a bottle.. Other wise.. That would be their loss for the day... I have had some kids that are a little tougher to get on the bottle but after a night/day with out mom/food they take it no problem.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me;..... Psalm 23:4

Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4149 Times on 2719 Posts
Likes Given: 3478

We bring dams & kids all to a show if one happens during show season if dam is showable.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8196 Times on 4481 Posts
Likes Given: 865

You can also separate at night and give them a bottle or a lamb bar in the morning before putting them out with mom. Then they know how to do both.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

People Like This 
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
J.O.Y. Farm
~Crazy Goat Lady~

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathiker View Post
You can also separate at night and give them a bottle or a lamb bar in the morning before putting them out with mom. Then they know how to do both.
That's a good Idea I have had a few kids I had to put on bottles at a few weeks old and did that before switching them over totally to the bottle

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
HarmonyLane
Harmony Lane

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

You have been most helpful , I think I will stick to my original plan and try the Dam feeding, I think I have 4 bred, two more to go....

Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
J.O.Y. Farm
~Crazy Goat Lady~

You can always try it and if it doesn't work for you then try bottle raising you just gotta find what works for you

liz Likes This 

Quick Reply