You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > All Things Animal > Cattle >

Vaccine protocol for cow/calf/bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
billiejw89

Liked 730 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

Default Vaccine protocol for cow/calf/bull

My brother in law has a heifer with a newborn calf and 2 bulls. He has never given them anything but hay and their pasture. He's asked me to look into what all they need. The necessities basically. I'm hoping someone here with experience in raising cattle can help me, because all the info I've found so far is a bit overwhelming.
What vaccines do they NEED?
Minerals?
Wormers?
He is milking the cow and is concerned about the milk being "bad" because the cow has had zero vaccines since spring 2016 when he purchased her. I hope this makes sense lol I haze zero experience with cattle. Thanks!

Nigerian Dwarf Goats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16839 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

The milk would not be bad. Any animal naturally builds up antibodies from things they are exposed to.

billiejw89 Likes This 
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
billiejw89

That's what I figured but wasn't sure.

Nigerian Dwarf Goats

Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Jessica84

Liked 5505 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Every cattle person vaccinated for different things depending on the risk factor of how they are managed and the area they are in. If he just has these few cows and they are away from others then she won't need much if anything. The only thing we vaccinate ours for is pink eye and pneumonia, I would have to look at the name when I get home but it's one that covers a huge verity of different causes of pneumonia.
Loose minerals will not hurt anything at all. We just stick out all the different salt blocks they have and let them pick and choose but we also run 200+ pair so loose minerals kinda wouldn't go over to well
Worming is the same as with the goats. As needed if you can.
billiejw89 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #5
billiejw89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica84 View Post
Every cattle person vaccinated for different things depending on the risk factor of how they are managed and the area they are in. If he just has these few cows and they are away from others then she won't need much if anything. The only thing we vaccinate ours for is pink eye and pneumonia, I would have to look at the name when I get home but it's one that covers a huge verity of different causes of pneumonia.
Loose minerals will not hurt anything at all. We just stick out all the different salt blocks they have and let them pick and choose but we also run 200+ pair so loose minerals kinda wouldn't go over to well
Worming is the same as with the goats. As needed if you can.
Thanks, that helps a lot. I will pass the info along.

Nigerian Dwarf Goats

Old 06-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #6
BrokenArrowRanch

Liked 236 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 58

There are a lot of goat/cow people who don't vaccinate at all. I run a 40 head cow/calf operation. I do vaccinate every calf because I don't know if I will keep them or not. The cows I don't do anything to unless needed. I've dewormed the whole herd once and 2 seperate cows in the last 10 years. The fecals I just sent in came back clean. I get away with this because they are at a low stocking rate for the land they are on and I rarely bring anyone new in. When I do they are quarantined for 90 days. They eat naturally occurring pasture grass along with salt blocks and molasses during calving season.

Be careful about what you give the cows that your drinking milk from. I don't usually vaccinate my goats that I milk if I'm drinking it. You have to be careful of dewormers too. Other than that a decent mineral and hay/grain is good. You can call and ask a vet in your area what they suggest

People Like This 

Quick Reply