You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Parasites >

Parasitology Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
clingenpeel

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Parasitology Questions

So I want to become a self taught parasitologist (in jest ). In all seriousness I do want to purchase a microscope and start doing my own fecals like so many goat herders who have come before me.

I do have a couple questions before I get started.

1) Should I purchase one of the many books on parasitology or are there adequate resources on the World Wide Web to help identify the different eggs and whatnot? And the obvious second part to this question is what books or websites do you recommend.

2) For those of you who have taken this step are you glad you did or did it turn out to be more difficult than you anticipated or maybe just too time consuming to be worth your while?

3) Not a question but would just like to open the floor for any general tips or advice for a beginner in this realm.

Some general info about myself and my herd, I've been raising boer goats for about five years and typically have about twenty goats on hand.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16839 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

Fiasco Farms has good info on doing your own fecals.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
Donkeylover

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm wondering too

Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
jschies

Liked 245 Times on 186 Posts

1. I don't know if you need to buy a book. There are lots of resources on the internet.

2. It is well worth doing. I have learned that I have some worms that are only killed with Levimisole. Also, there was one time when I thought a goat had to have coccidia based on symptoms, but after doing a fecal I knew that it was worms. I would have wasted time and money treating for the wrong thing.

3. You can make yourself crazy looking at them, so be sure to look at the goats' conditions and ask the vet to run a fecal when you aren't sure that you are doing things correctly.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #5
Suzanne_Tyler
GreenTGoats

Liked 2991 Times on 2211 Posts
Likes Given: 2537

There are plenty good resources on the internet, I wouldn't get a book.

I have sort of started fecal testing. Right when kidding season started, I ran a fecal on my healthiest doe. She's never been sick. That was probably a dumb idea, I didn't see anything. So either she's top notch healthy or I'm doing something really wrong lol. Then kidding season got ahead of me and I haven't done another since.

I think once I really get started it will be totally worth it. My vet is 1/2 hour away and they charge $20/sample. I will be saving time a money doing it myself, in addition to learning the skill.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Green-T-Homestead-1817090968574703/
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1NRjE2T_yW9yle3P25UYg

Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
clingenpeel

Default Parasitology Questions

Thanks for the info. I'm also a 1/2 hour from the vet which usually acts as a deterrent from me taking fecals as often as I should. They're $24 a shot too. If I could do my own I would do them much more often which will hopefully allow me to better stay on top of any worm or cocci issues. That's my thought anyway.
Suzanne_Tyler Likes This 
Old 06-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
clingenpeel

Parasitology Questions - Parasites

I pulled the trigger. It'll probably be at least a week before it shows up here. I'll give it a review and share my experience after testing it out.

Quick Reply