Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Parasites > Tapeworms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6604 Times on 4527 Posts
Likes Given: 11323

Yes like fleas are the source of tape in dogs and cats..mites is the source of tape in goats.. Be sure to rake up any poo with tape or tape eggs in them...

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Tabbytabtab

Liked 48 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathiker View Post
What are you actually seeing in his poo? If it's the rice shaped segments, those are egg pouches NOT tapeworms. When you actually get the worms to detach they will be very long and mucusy. Tapeworms do not hatch inside the body. To get rid of them, you must get rid of the mites that are their host.
It's tapeworms. They are long and mucusy.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Tabbytabtab

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybleats View Post
Yes like fleas are the source of tape in dogs and cats..mites is the source of tape in goats.. Be sure to rake up any poo with tape or tape eggs in them...
Do I need to treat for mites?

Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

It would be a good idea...I owuld use ivomec 3 times one week apart works for mites...1 cc per 40# Sub Q.. the enviorement needs to be cleaned as well..since mites can live a few days off the host..If their is bald ichy raw spots the the infestation is bad and a powder or spray may be helpful along with the ivomec...

Cathy
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Tabbytabtab

Quote:
It would be a good idea...I owuld use ivomec 3 times one week apart works for mites...1 cc per 40# Sub Q.. the enviorement needs to be cleaned as well..since mites can live a few days off the host..If their is bald ichy raw spots the the infestation is bad and a powder or spray may be helpful along with the ivomec...
He doesn't have any bald or raw spots. I hadnt seen any worms in his poo for a few days but today he had them all over his butt and in his poo. I thought they would be gone by now. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before.
Attached Thumbnails
image-4275973116.jpg  

Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Yah...looks like hes still dealing with them ...when was his last treatment...?

Cathy

Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
Tabbytabtab

Quote:
Yah...looks like hes still dealing with them ...when was his last treatment...?
It was on 9-15. Hubby went ahead and gave another dose just now. I'm not having any problems out of the other goats but should I go ahead and give them some?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7298 Times on 3990 Posts
Likes Given: 803

The mites that carry tapes aren't on your animal. They are the mites that cause grass rash when you lay in the grass. The goats eat them when they graze too close to the ground or they can be in your hay.
During the winter, putting your next bale of hay out where it can freeze and kill them will help a lot. Spraying your hay storage area while it's empty helps also. We throw handsfuls of trace mineral salt on the hay as we are storing it. Does 2 things. Keeps the hay from heating up and molding and drives the mites away.
Doing a tapeworm prevention program will help them build immunity as a kid. Mostly adult goats fight them off with no problem once they have built immunity.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

happybleats Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
kbluebkeman
stonebrokefarm

Liked 38 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So if I understand the previous threads you treat with a specific type of wormer (valbazen, panacure, zimectrin gold) to get rid of the internal worms and THEN also treat for the mites which are external?

Isn't that a lot of wormer for the goats? What do you do to help the goats deal with all these chemicals?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
The mites that carry tapes aren't on your animal.
Interesting, ive never heard this ...I only know three kinds of mite, all three are on the goats...what kind are the ones in the hay?

Quote:
So if I understand the previous threads you treat with a specific type of wormer (valbazen, panacure, zimectrin gold) to get rid of the internal worms and THEN also treat for the mites which are external?

Isn't that a lot of wormer for the goats? What do you do to help the goats deal with all these chemicals?
For tape you need a white wormer..you need to treat for three days in a row..for mites, you need an injectable wormer..in real bad cases some recommend the help of external dusting or sprays, usually the ivomec injected does the job, once a week for 3 weeks...Other worms are treated once unless its heavy loaded then some do a 3 times 10 days apart, other wise best to worm only as needed..fecals are our best defence against worms so we only worm against the parasite our goats carries..
If I have a goat with Barpole worm and mites..the mite treatment will take care of both....ect...I agree with your worry about chemical build up..this is why we always encourage worm only as needed and dont underdose ..dont feed medicated feed ect...

Cathy

Quick Reply