3 NEW baby Saanen goats! One will NOT bottle feed

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by LegendsCreekFarm, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LegendsCreekFarm

LegendsCreekFarm New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    I have been so extremely overwhelmed I haven't had a chance to get to the forum in over 2 weeks. My partner was here on Spring break from law school and we were enjoying the start of Spring and getting the fields ready for tilling in order to set up our crops. To top things off we have a bunch of baby ducks, and chickens growing, 2 new guinea fowl, and in the process of trying to sell the last of the baby bucks, we were able to pick up 3 purebread baby Saanen does really cheap!! Now we will be able to expand our flock even further if we can get all 5 does pregnant in the fall.

Now the problem started when we assumed we would be able to bottle feed all 3 of them for a few weeks which I don't mind doing at all, but one of the babies will NOT take to the bottle. Ive tried everything, even blindfolding her. Several different nipples and nothing works. She screams when I try to force it, and wont even drink it out of a bowl.

I decided to force my one goat Ida who was giving me about a gallon of milk every 2 days to nurse the kid who wont bottle feed, she does it but is very unhappy about it. I have to hold her in place the entire time but so far it works. Is this OK or should I keep pressing on the bottle feeding. The horrible part about the whole thing is that I am not getting any milk for myself and I had been making this amazing fresh chevre and now I need to wait again until I sell the last buck and get all the milk from Dotty, and get this baby off of Ida, and bottle feed the 3. SO OVERWHELMED but in a good way!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Sorry... you can't get the baby to take the bottle... :( if you have tried for many days and no success... it is probably not going to work.... It is OK ...to use the Doe to feed the kid.....but... it is a bummer ...you cannot get milk for yourself because of it..... it is very kind hearted of you.... to want to take care of the kid like that..... that is a wonderful thing.... :wink: :thumb:

3. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    I left my kids on their mom for a week then put them on the bottle. I had one that it took me three days to get to take it. I waited for him to start screaming and shove the nipple in his mouth and just squirt it in his mouth and force him to swallow making sure not to drown him. I held his mouth onto the nipple so he couldn't do an open mouth scream and spill all the milk. It also helps if they are hungry. So I left him in the pen with his brothers over night around twelve hours with no food. He got the hint that is was either take that fake nasty nipple or starve. Putting molasses on it can sometimes help too but not for this little guy. I don't know how long you tried but If after all that you can't get her to take a bottle then I guess you can say you've done what you can.

4. LegendsCreekFarm

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    Is been almost a week of trying and she still won't do it. Frustrating, but they are the most adorable babies I have ever seen!

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Aww...hmm....you can keep trying for a bit longer...or... you can catch the Doe and feed the kid that way.....it is up to you.....I know it is frustrating when.. they won't take the bottle.... .... :hug:

6. LegendsCreekFarm

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    There have been many frustrating things happen since I decided to keep goats, more frustrating than rewarding, but I think once I get down to a routine, and have my land set up proper, and the babies grow a bit I will be able to enjoy the benefits of all my hard work. The 2 original goats are still real pains in the butt and SO stubborn, constantly breaking the rules and even walking right through my electric fence to get to greener pasture. I hope I don't grey at 31!! haha

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Just keep thinking about that Chevre... and then try Feta, that's my favorite to make, and it's also WONDERFUL. They will be worth the frustration someday... at least mine are

8. LegendsCreekFarm

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    I am really excited about trying some cheddar... I know it takes a lot longer, but it's my favorite cheese and all the cows milk versions I have tried came out amazing. My partner also wants me to make blue cheeses for him, he loves the stuff!

9. LegendsCreekFarm

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    This morning ingot her to drink more from the bottle and then didn't allow her to milk from the goat. She is hungry now and whining, I will wait a few hours and see if I can get her back on the bottle. The way I see it is if she is hungry enough, she will drink it! Lol

10. mtmom75

mtmom75 New Member

May 19, 2011
    Oh that sounds promising! Good luck today. I hope she takes the bottle for you.

11. LegendsCreekFarm

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    Thank you! The other two kids literally attack the nipple and suck it out like they never ate before, hopefully this girl will get there too.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    :laugh: grey LOL...goats can do that to us.... raising babies on the bottle ect... takes a lot of work..... but the reward... when you wean them... is so exciting....and well worth the effort.... :thumb:

Keep us updated.... :hug:

13. LegendsCreekFarm

Dec 27, 2011
    Foster, RI
    It's a lot of work but I'm sure once they are done with it things will get easier. How long should I bottle feed? They were all eating grass and hay today, just unsure.

14. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Babies need to have milk in their diet a minimum of 8 weeks...With kids I've retained here, I let them get for 12 weeks...seems to help with their growth a good bit when allowed longer than neccesary.

Good luck!