8 week buckling not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ipranchtx, May 19, 2017.

1. ipranchtx

ipranchtx New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I have an 8 week bottle buckling boar that just yesterday showed a decline in eating. He has been grazing and we are starting to decrease his milk replacement. He is taking water via bottle. The last couple days his belly is very round, barrel shape such as that of an end term pregnancy. Today having diarrhea, not really wanting milk, some grazing however not being his usual self. Did give a little probiotic today.
    Any suggestions?

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Can you post a photo of him?

Don't give water in a bottle, that causes them to pee blood. Just make sure he has access to a fresh bucket of water.

Is he anemic?

Has he been treated for cocci or parasites?

3. ipranchtx

ipranchtx New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I can get a pic. Did not know about no eater in bottle, thanks.
    Had his cdt x 1, booster due tomorrow.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree.

He is at the age to get cocci and worms.

Get a temp on him in case.

5. ipranchtx

ipranchtx New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks everyone, he just passed

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I am so sorry :(

I wonder if it was bloat. Did you increase his feed suddenly? Was he on lush grass? Are you going to get a necropsy done?

7. ipranchtx

ipranchtx New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I agree that it a strong possibility of bloat. We are new at this and looking back I believe this may have originated with bottle feeding water. This is when I noticed the enlarged belly. This is not the experience I want to go by in order to learn.

8. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I'm so sorry. I've had a couple deaths this year and it is hard for you. Whenever I have a cessation of eating I hit the probiotics, yoghurt, clabber, or Probios. And not just a little, and often, with belly rubs. And I keep the goat warm, because nothing works if the goat is too cold. This I consider treating the symptoms until I can treat the cause.

Suzanne, I've never fed water in a bottle, but I've never heard about it making a kid pee blood. Would you tell me more about what the water in the bottle would be doing differently than water in a pail or bowl???

I'm not contesting you at all, just wanting to learn more.

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Water in a bottle causes water intoxication. It can kill quickly. I know it doesn't make sense that a goat can slurp down a bucket of water but not a bottle.

10. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Maybe they take in much more water much more quickly in a bottle? I've never seen a kid guzzle out of a bowl as fast as out of a bottle...

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    When they drink from a pool of water they stretch to take it. When drinking from a bottle they are scrunched up. This puts the water in different stomachs, one right, one wrong.

12. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Putting water in their first stomach, head up, causes their red blood cells to burst. Water belongs in the third stomach, head down.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good advice.

14. ipranchtx

ipranchtx New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Great information, thank you.