Anyone interested in Berry Bags?

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by fredbschneider, May 20, 2014.

1. fredbschneider

fredbschneider New Member

May 19, 2014
    According the the research I've done online there is no longer anywhere that produces berry bags (poop catchers) for sale. One company went out of business for it a long time ago and then (apparently) tried to sue anyone who started selling them. That was a few years ago and there are no new sellers.

I've come up with a great design that I think is different enough from the original design that I could market it without a worry. Is anyone on here interested is owning one?

What makes mine unique is that instead of a harness, there is a base that is attached to the goat's rear with livestock tag cement. The base has velcro to attach a removable bag that fits in such a way to catch the berries. All you have to do to dump it is pull the bag off, and afterwards reattach using the velcro. The tag cement means that the base of the system will stay attached to the goat for a couple weeks (until the hair grows out) or can be removed using turpentine and a comb to dissolve the adhesive.

I use this system on my Nigerian Dwarf goat, Rosie, for long car rides and walks on city streets. It might also be useful in Parades that require sanitation for livestock, or for visits to shows or schools, or for keeping kids in the house. It stays on whether the animal is standing or lying down or playing. Rosie has never tried to remove it and doesn't notice it there, but I imagine that some goats may try to pull it with their teeth.

I just love that now I don't have to struggle to put a diaper on every time I bring her in the car!

If I get interest in this I'd be glad to make some for people on here. I will have pictures of it once I make and test the new one I'm working on.

2. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

Sounds interesting.

3. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Sounds cool, I'd like to see pics of it on the goat :)

4. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    This would be good for therapy goats who go indoors.

5. fredbschneider

May 19, 2014
    Here's a pic of Rosie wearing the prototype which was held on by suspenders. The suspenders were super cute, but they were a heck of a time putting on! I've since streamlined the design. Next time I take Rosie on a trip I'll post a pic of the new one. I don't really want to put it on until then though because then I'd be leaving part of it on her for no reason since there's tag glue involved...

Attached Files:

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What about pee? Does it catch & contain that too?

7. fredbschneider

May 19, 2014
    I didn't need it to do that because Rosie's completely potty trained for pee. (Which was surprisingly easy and she basically taught herself!) When we go on the grass and I say "Go Potty" she pees on command just like the dogs do.

The only thing is that if she pees while the bag is on, it drips onto the back of the bag. That's why with my next bag I'm going to make the back so that it will repel liquid and just drip dry quickly. I'm also thinking of making removable lining bags that could possibly be disposable for city-dweller scenarios. Just pop a doggie bag in there and throw it out when it's full.

8. fredbschneider

May 19, 2014
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1407353549.824573.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1407353571.841600.jpg .
    I'm going to take better pics of the bag when not attached but I took these pics today at the dog park in Long Island NY. The frame is attached with livestock tag glue and the bag is Velcro secured. The inside is vinyl and easy to dump and clean.

9. bethanking

bethanking New Member

May 12, 2017
    Berry Bag

Hello

I would be very interested in learning more about your berry bags I have a tiny Nigerian Pygmy 2 months old

10. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    This thread is 3 years old... I wouldn't advise gluing anything to your goat's butt.