As soon as I decided to keep him

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nancy d, Jun 13, 2017.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Somebody out of the blue turned up looking for chickens & goat(s)
    He was interested in my little 4 mo old & tried to talk me down to $135. Then he was shocked when I told him $10 for laying hens.
    Don't they go for 3 or 4 as chicks? I have not priced them lately.

But back to this buck; he is as sweet as can be & I was gonna wether him but then again I wouldn't have to feed him but his offer is way too low.

2. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    Oh, yeah. Day old chicks are $2-$5, then you have to raise them...way more than fair to get $10 for laying hens. We've had people more than happy to pay that for our extra roosters.

It's frustrating to get low offers on goats. I usually hold out until someone pays my asking price (or close to it) or send them to the auction (and get a higher price than I was offered). It mostly depends on how much time and space I have at the time.....So, I know how you feel.

3. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Active Member

May 21, 2017
    Goodness...I would LOVE to find laying hens for $10. That's way low in my opinion! I would send that man on his way quick!

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks you guys, I thought 10 was kinda low but then again I do not know the ages, some are maybe 5 or 6 and a few only a couple years.
    As for goats, I would rather get a low price at the sale barn & not have to haggle with customers.

5. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Around here laying hens go for $10-$20 depending on the breed. I wouldn't sell the buckling for $135 either, especially if you aren't in a hurry to sell him and just decided to keep him!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I would not sell him for $135. Especially if they're trying to talk you down, it's not like keeping him is going to hurt you much. Name your price and stick to it, or say he's not for sale.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Nope, not giving him away!
    As for the chickens, gonna tell him to wait for about a month then he can take new chicks for maybe $2(?) a head.

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    $10 is what old hens with no history sells at the sale yard for! Granted on the sellers part they have to pay 25% so $10 is pretty fair for both parties!
    If his offer on the kid is too low don't take it. I do the same thing as you and think of feed too and that's usually when I give in but heck if you put him in the freezer you'll save more money then that!

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Honestly I was hoping he wouldn't come back for hens. Since I had quoted the price I had to honor it.
    I only sold him three. They were at least 4 or 5yrs old & we have too many eggs as it is with just the two of us. He was reluctant in parting with his money. I mean it came out like he was being wounded.
    He wanted to give me his phone # but I conveniently forgot.
    Then he asked about the goat again. "No longer for sale."
    Bob asked me if I told him he wouldn't find such a nice animal at auction barn but I didn't think of it.
    If he ever shows up again I will tell him where to go. The sale barn.
    Look, don't make a spectacle of parting with your cash it's infuriating & tells the seller way more than you intended!
    Arrrgg!!

10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    No it just baffles my mind the amount of people who are rude or simply just have no dang pride any more. If it was me I would find nothing wrong with someone offering less even if it's crazy low, I remember getting into goats and being shocked by prices. But when they are down right rude about it, Like the animal is not worth what your asking, that rubs me the wrong way. I actually just had a guy yesterday offer me less but he did it in such a nice way. He asked how much I said $700. He went on and on about how nice she was. He finally asked if he could make a offer, I said of course and he asked $500. It was on the low side IMO but he did it so well mannered and polite so I excepted. If he came off rude, not a chance I would have taken $1 less.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    In my mind, if they won't part with the money to buy a well cared for animal, they surely won't get vet care for it, remember to give it clean water and when money gets tight, the feed will get scarce.

12. Paravani

Paravani New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    This is the month of Ramadan, which ends in just ten days, on June 24th. At the end of Ramadan Muslims celebrate with a feast, and goat meat is one of the traditional "halal" meats. Since it's for a religious festival, conservative muslims are likely to insist on bucks who are over a year old (or will be by the beginning of September, when there is another feast), though the less orthodox may consider young wethers as well. And any halal butcher who is shopping for festival meat will also be interested in chickens for the less prosperous customers.

They're not going to pay full price if they can help it, and they're not worried about vet fees.

-- Paravani

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Paravani you are so right!

Oh this goofball came back today bragging about getting some nice big chicken for $5.
    I told him he didn't have to buy mine.
    He then told me to call him if I change my mind about the goat.
    "H, I don't have your phone # and I don't want it. You are too tough a customer."
    Unfortunately he will be back; he bought eggs the other day. Why didn't he haggle about $3 a dozen that must be way too low a price. :scratch:

14. Paravani

Paravani New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    He'll be back again for the goat. He figures he still has eight or nine days to wear you down, because the buck he buys will likely be sold live and whole for slaughtering AT the feast on the 24th. He has some clients who are going in together on the cost of the goat for the feast.

My advice? Raise the price because _____________ (any reason will do, but make it sound like the buck is extra special). And talk to other goat farmers in your area to find out how much they're asking for bucks.

Many years ago, my mother held a garage sale that was attended by several new immigrants from the Middle East. They wanted to haggle over everything... so my mother obliged them.

"How much? It's a dollar... but for you, special price -- SIX dollars!" Then she'd haggle them back down to the original dollar, and they'd buy the thing, and all sides would be very happy with the deal.

So your difficult customer isn't trying to be insulting -- he's simply shopping for goat meat the way his culture has trained him to do. If you want to sell the buck, raise the price unreasonably high, then let Mr. Difficult haggle you down to the price you really want for it.

(He bought the eggs to show you he isn't wasting your time.)

-- Paravani

15. Paravani

Paravani New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    ... Oh, and if you just want to mess with his mind, tell him that you know there's a chicken disease going around that has affected entire flocks locally. It takes a week or two to show up, but your chickens are $10 because none of them have it.

-- Paravani

16. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I would just tell him I would rather knock the goat in the head and feed to the dogs before I lower the price. Trust me that seems to really offend people for some reason. I said that to a guy that showed up to buy some butcher goats and for some reason he thought it would be cute to rope my Dino old doe and laugh when she freaked out. Well ok maybe it was a mix of throwing the rope in his face and saying that lol but seriously either politely rude or down right rude back seems to get the point across. So far I say you pulled the politely rude off very well with the phone number lol

17. $10 is very cheap for a laying hen. The Isa Browns point of lay pulletts sell for $20 or more! $5 for meat chicks and about that for layer chicks.
    I once bought some meat chicks for $6 they were a few weeks old so didn't need heat and fed them up for about 8 weeks till they were as big as turkeys! My goodness those things could eat and poop! We worked it out $ it was the same cost as frozen from the shops to rear these eating machines. My daughter called them the Budas because they just sat and did nothing.
    I've had people phone saying they want some wethers expecting to pay $10 I don't thinks so:evil: it's a minimum of $150 for meat. All that food I pour into them I end up saying I don't have anything because I'd rather put them in our freezer. Not worth the bother. I've even had some expecting me to deliver them!! They can go jump,lol. My registered dairy kids sell from $500 up and same with bucks depending on bloodlines. I don't think people realise all the years of breeding and feeding that go into a quality animals. Teejae

18. Paravani

Paravani New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Yeah, that would offend Muslims all right. That would offend them profoundly.

Dogs are considered unclean, like pigs, to a Muslim. So basically you told him you considered animals who are unclean like pigs to be more worthy of the goat's meat than anyone who'd pay that low a price (like him).

All I'm saying (for the benefit of goat farmers here who DO sell their goats for meat) is that understanding the culture is a better way to make a sale than taking offense because you don't understand the culture.

If you ask for a MUCH higher price than you want, and praise your buck to high heavens, and visibly show anger and offense when your buck is insulted, chances are you will get a much higher price for your buck than you expected.

The day Ramadan ends is the BIGGEST holiday of the Muslim religious year. Regardless of how insulting the customers may seem when they're dickering, the fact is that they are buying their "Christmas goose". That buck will be the centerpiece of the most important feast of the year!

So go ahead and ask for more than you thought you could get for it. The demand for mature bucks is going to be HUGE right now, and you will have some last-minute customers next week who will pay almost anything for a buck, because the ones they'd been hoping to buy are already gone.

-- Paravani

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I guess I am not up on my Muslim holidays. I sell my dairy goats to people that want to milk or have pet wethers. I never even thought about goat eating holidays.

20. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    I wouldn't count on the goat being humanely handled & slaughtered by them, if National Geographic is right. This is also the time of year that many goats just vanish from their pens...

I recently paid $4.75 for feed store chicks. Large sex link pullets are $18. Older hens $10-15 if you even see any.