badly limping goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by frenchgoatlady, Apr 7, 2011.

1. frenchgoatlady

frenchgoatlady New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    One of my goats has been limping on her front right leg for 3 weeks now. I have tried everything I can think of. I have cut her hooves, it is regularly sprayed with antiseptic. The vet gave me an antibiotic injection to try (that didn't work!). I have seriously reduced the grain she eats (just in case it is the grain). I have felt her leg so many times, I can't feel anything wrong. She does not react at all when I feel all down her leg. Her hoof is not hot and there is nothing lodged in her foot that I can see. I have run out of ideas. Is there anyone that can help me please. I just dont know what to do next.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Could it be her shoulder....maybe she got slammed hard? :(

3. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was just thinking the same thing Pam! Check her shoulder for any tenderness, even in the armpit area, she could have either gotten slammed or rubbed against something a bit too rough.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    :hi5: :thumbup:

5. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    I am thinking shoulder, also. I had one with a hip enjury last summer, and it took her a couple months before she stopped favoring it.

6. frenchgoatlady

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I have been feeling her shoulder and armpit, but I can't feel anything or see anything. She doesn't even react when I feel her leg or shoulder! This afternoon she is even worse. Before she was putting some weight on her leg but now she is walking on three legs, just putting a little weight on her leg when she's eating.

7. frenchgoatlady

Apr 7, 2011
    This morning her shoulder looks different. Sticking out one side more than other.
    I think your'e right it is her shoulder. But what do I do?

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    She will need something for pain and swelling ...I wouldn't let her walk on it to much...

As she started swelling... she started feeling more pain from the pressure.... :(

9. frenchgoatlady

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I have given her Ibuprofen (I hope thats ok-its all we had in the house). Do you think it will go back on its own with rest or will I have to call in a vet? I'm so worried. I only have the two goats (they're my 'little girls') and as you have probably gathered I'm new to this, only had goats since last September!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Ibuprofen... I hear... isn't good to give to goats.... adult aspirin is sufficient for an adult goat...

The goat may limp for a couple of weeks or more ...depending on what has happened to the shoulder....... if you feel.... it is best to take the goat to the vet never hesitate.....it is your goat.... so use your best judgment.... :hug:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a goat that was limping and we figured he was butted in the shoulder.

We gave him 3 asprins 2x a day, for two weeks. He also got grain with it so it did not upset his tummy. He was better.

I also gave my Liz 4 2x a day, sh ehad cancer in her front leg.

12. frenchgoatlady

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I'll carry on with pain killers and see how she is in a week or two. :ponder:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Your welcome...good luck... :thumb:

14. frenchgoatlady

Apr 7, 2011
    Re: STILL limping

It's been about 4 weeks now that my goat has been limping. I am still giving her
    pain killers, which help. But I am soooo frustrated........... I have just come back from seeing the vet, to ask if there is anything that he can do. Despite telling him that I am sure she has dislocated her shoulder, all he spoke about was it must be a virus that is extremely dangerous and very contagious. He wants me to take her in, but I must confess I dont want to. I know he will pump her full of antibiotics and everything else he can think of. I told him that she is in good health as well as the goat living with her, but that made no difference. I am sure there is no virus, but now I dont know what to do............ Do I carry on giving her painkillers indefinately?
    Can the shoulder go back on its own? HELP!!!!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    If the shoulder is dislocated... it will have to be manually put back in...it will not go back on it's own....then will have to be wrapped....to make it stay in position...feeding all those aspirin for this long.. isn't good on her either...I hate to say this but... the only way to get her to heal and mend is to have it put back into place.... :hug: