Banamine and disbudding?????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by peggy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I read that you can give banamine to kids a half hour before disbudding to ease the pain. Since it is an anti-inflammatory, I thought it would help?

Does anyone do this?????

2. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    We have never tried it. We don't give our kids and pain killers (besides their bottle, witch seems to be enough :laugh: ) I have never heard of giving kids Banamine before disbudding :shrug:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It might help a bit with the pain. I personally don't use it unless there is some kind of issue after castrating or disbudding...actually I have yet to use it for either, but would if needed. My kids get quickly disbudded and put back with mom and they're good...they don't seem to be in much pain at all after being disbudded.

Disbudding large buds or doing it incorrectly, that's when I would want to make sure they got the banamine.

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    My buckling was born Thursday night and he is getting buds already, is tomorrow, Monday okay to do him?

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you can feel the buds starting to come in, then yes, he should be ok to do them tomorrow. 4-5 days old is about the soonest i'd disbud if the buds were ready.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yes, if you can feel them, they can be burned. Actually, when my vet taught me how to disbudd my kids she gave them banamine and I have just always used it. Maybe I don't need to...

LOL, we had nearly the same thoughts...

7. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    I've been thinking the same thing. People say it doesn't give them much pain because it burns the nerve endings right away, but I would question that: they sure scream a lot. :( It seems like a painkiller would be a good idea. Has anyone who tried it noticed a difference?

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Good question..... milkmaid. so to you Di, have you noticed a difference? and also what is the dosage?? for a kid??

9. I don't see the need for Banamie. I think a big part of the kid screaming is the fact that they are restrained. I am sure it hurts but not lingering pain.

10. winky

winky New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    I agree with Milkmaid. How could we possibly think this isn't a painful procedure both during and after? Animals (especially prey animals) have developed an amazing ability to mask pain so that predators won't single them out. I understand disbudding is kind of a necessary evil for most dairy goats but there's no good reason why we can't make it more humane.

11. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Courtenay BC
    I use latacaine and saline aolution when disbudding mine. It seems to work very good..
    excuse the spelling :wink:

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    What I do is, get the kid and give them a cdt shot and banamine shot, trim the hair around the buds...put kid in pen...for a few minutes. We usually do a couple of kids at a time. So, then Hubby goes and does something else for a few minutes while the iron heats up. They get a little sleepy, then we get them again and do the job. After, they go back to mom, drink a little bit and then we usually find them in a pile...dozing in the sun. Everybody is fine. I think I'll keep to my routine. :hi5:

I've heard of using lidocaine, it's a gentle local anesthetic. We use that kind of thing in the dental office. Maybe he will bring something home and we can try that this year. :)

13. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Di, what dosage do you use for the banamine?

14. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    It's just a tiny little bit...bottle says 3ml for 100lbs...I think I give them .5ml or so...it's hard to be perfect with that tiny amount...but I haven't killed anybody yet!

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Banamine is usually dosed at 1cc per 100 lbs.

I give my kids Banamine beforehand. I have had 2 kids have problems after being disbudded and Banamine turned them around. So now I just give it and haven't seen any problems since.

16. hallsthirdacrefarm

hallsthirdacrefarm New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I know this is an old post, but we are doing banamine this year and were given the1cc per hundred lbs dose too...but the boys are like 2 lbs... nigis & small. my plan is to draw in a little drop, but that's like 1/8 or 1/10 of a cc...which is still too much technically. is this what you do?

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I buy 1cc syringes so I can correctly dose it. The 1cc syringes have all the little lines to get it right.

18. BigDfarms

BigDfarms New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Do you give the Banamine orally?

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

No. I have the injectable Banamine and always inject it.

20. zanelee

zanelee New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Do you give the injection IM or SC? And how long do the effects last?
    We will be travelling about 30 minutes or more to have ours disbudded, and I want to make sure it's in full force and not wearing off.