Bio Chlor -- have you used it??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Buck Naked Boers, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Active Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm wondering if anyone here has used the product Bio-Chlor in place of ammonium chloride for their wethers or bucks? I'm hearing good things about it. Wondered what your experience is with it. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Tami

2. Serenity Woods

Serenity Woods Member

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm not familiar with it. Is it used for prevention or treatment?

3. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    It's used for prevention. Goats supposedly like to eat it better than AC. Tastes better. And Ive heard vets are liking it. So thought surely that many people have used it. Another product called soy-chlor is also supposed to be good.

4. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Bump

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Following......interested to know as well.......

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Never heard of it. Following as well ;)

7. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Never heard of it either...off to read......

8. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm going to write here more about it. Univ of Florida did a trial with goats. I'm going to call the person tomorrow who ran the study.

But vets are talking about bio-chlor and soy-chlor as an alternative to ammonium chloride. My boy hates it. Almost acts like I'm killing him. So looking for alternative. And will share why and what we've been going through....soon. Until then just looking for anyone here who may use it. Glad others are interested in it too!

9. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
  10. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
  11. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    Never heard of it also, following! :)

12. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I would like to update you all on what has been happening regarding my research and use of BioChlor for my wether, Nibbles since I started this thread a while back.....

UPDATE:
    I spoke with Dr. Julien in Nebraska at BioVance Technologies. He was one of the dr's who manufactured BioChlor to begin with. Then at some point their company sold BioChlor to Dwight &Church (aka Arm & Hammer). So it is sold under the Arm & Hammer name. I am attaching a photo of the bag I bought. One bag runs anywhere from 25-30 dollars which is a great buy and will last me a long time! =)

So after talking to Dr. Julien at BioVance Technologies and learning about the pros to using BioChlor for acidifying the urine ph, I thought I would try it! He also stated it helps the rumen be much more efficient and there are benefits to using it!

I was supposed to dose my 230 lb Boer goat wether Nibbles, 8 T per day! I thought how on earth will I do that? But was reading it tastes better and goats prefer it over ammonium chloride. So I thought I'd try it.

I gave Nibbles 2 T of BioChlor in his morning herb balls I was giving him anyway. And he seemed to have no problem taking it. I gave a second herb ball in the evening (he was on pain meds after surgery and I added in pain meds). But when I tried to up the dosage past 2-3T a day he would have nothing to do with it! Yesterday I was able to get 2 T in am and 2 T in pm down him. I thought Ok now we are getting somewhere! lol.

I thought I would test his urine ph just to see where he was on the ph scale....
    When I brought Nibbles home from surgery after hospitalization....his ph was off the charts! Guessing probably a 9!
    I retested his urine last night and his ph was 5-6!!! I WAS SO SHOCKED! I mean he is only getting about 1/4 of the dose I was supposed to be giving him and it is already taking down his PH! I am THRILLED! I had to share this with you guys since I know I can't be the only one who's goat hates ammonium chloride!

So I got a email from Dr. Julien today because I had emailed him last night I was so happy I couldn't contain myself....doing a happy dance in the barn! lol. I told him about all of the above as far as dosing and this is what he said:

2Tbs vs. 8: The amount you have been successful with reflects then cation load that is in his diet. The average daily dose of 8 Tb. reflects the fact that most sheep and goats that suffer from renal calculi are on feedlot diets which are inherently highly cationic. Your diet obviously is not. Use the renal pH as an indicator of efficacy which in your case is 2 Tb. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So this makes sense to me! His diet is really good because we have been trying to keep him from getting stones....very balanced we think. Makes sense that the higher dosage would be because of poor diet.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also I had been told by another vet to dose him periodically with BioChlor so his body doesn't adapt to the different higher ph. She said something like put him on 4 days and off 3 days and so forth. This is what Dr. Julien said:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Take him off of it and put him back on: The answer is keep him on it. There is no such thing as a physiologic adaptation to a dietary anion load as you were apparently told by the Georgia veterinarian. You need to keep him on it. There is no risk to so doing, and you actually put him at risk if your management approach is cyclical. If you are doing a trial to prove to yourself that it is the BioChlor that is causing the pH reduction than yes, take him off it for a few days and then reintroduce it. I can assure you that the efficacy of BioChlor is well established in both the peer review and popular literature so its really up to you.

So this also gives me direction to NOT take him off his dose. To watch him with PH strips once a week or more and make sure his ph is on track.

But I am so thrilled it is working! This just doesn't take any effort to lower his PH! And it is working!!!!!

You probably all know this.....but for those who do not know....the purpose of lowering their PH is this:
    To make the bladder a place where stones cannot form. If the PH is below 6.5 (I think optimal is 6-6.5) the bladder is inhospitable to stone formation. This is what I understand.

I tested my other wether who has not gotten any stones yet....his PH was nearly 9 as well! So a huge difference with Biochlor! And my other wether is now on Biochlor as well as a prevention.

Wanted you all to know this information! I am sorry for the long long post!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Tami

Attached Files:

13. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead

What is in this stuff?

14. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I will take photo of label tomorrow.

15. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1484191270.759830.jpg

16. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    That is the label for biochlor. I'm very impressed with this product!!

17. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    Wow, I may have to get my hands on some of this and try it out!! Where do you buy it from?

18. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm in Oregon. I will ask the rep. Looks like yr from Washington. I can ask where in Washington people can buy it. I'm going to be talking to the rep so will get Info to pass on to people for a directory of where it's carried.

It's used a lot in the dairy cow industry. But starting to catch on as a urinary calculus prevention and I believe it could even be used to dissolve stones but I need to confirm that.

Tami

19. NyGoatMom

20. NyGoatMom

I wonder if the magnesium chloride would cause big kids if fed to does...not that anyone does but Cathy has another thread on minerals that cause large kids and magnesium was suggested by Jill....