Black mastitis?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kupla, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Hello everyone. This is my first time dealing with Mastitis and I'm very worried that my doe has black mastitis after reading about it.

A little background information. Blon, my doe, bagged up really early in her pregnancy and I'm now thinking I should have milked her out and just saved the colostrum. She gave birth on February 1st. On the 2nd she had what I thought was just a really congested udder so I started hot compresses and massage while trying to milk her out. On the 3rd I started to get clots and blood so I did the soap test, it was positive so I went to the vet and she gave me a three day course of antibiotics and Dexamethasone. Blon's udder had a spot that I thought was just bruising at first but I know know it's a big patch of dead tissue. She also has a large hard mass inside the udder and I don't know if I should be trying to break that up or if it's just dead udder that I need to leave alone.

She's not as active as she normally is but she walks around to eat fallen leaves and still has an appetite. I've been dosing her with Nutridrench and Probiotics for a few days, and she has electrolyte water if she wants it.

Should I have that section of udder removed? Am I correct in thinking that she shouldn't be bred again even if the bad section of udder is removed? She's the best doe out of my herd, last year as a FF she was giving over a gallon of milk per day, has a sweet personality and really nice conformation. However, if it's not safe to ever breed her again I won't do it. Thanks in advance for reading all of this and for any advice you might have.

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Get her to the vet asap.

3. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ok. I showed the vet the pictures and she didn't seem concerned, just said it didn't look like it was going to rupture.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Pictures are not going to help. A vet needs to physically see, test and treat her, if it is black mastitis.

5. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Got it. I'll call and see about getting the vet out ASAP.

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree, a vet needs to see her. I hope all works out well for her.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Let us know what they say.

8. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ok update. The vet doesn't want to remove any of the tissue yet but she prescribed a dose of Draxxin, Dexamethasone, and then 1,500 units of tetanus antitoxin.

Blon was a bit more active today but she's a bit off her feed. She'll eat anything green and leafy but doesn't want her grain. I gave her some Dyne for added calories. Is there any other nutritional supplement she should get that won't mess up the antibiotics? I have Nutridrench, Jumpstart with Probiotics, and Red Cell in my cabinet.

9. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Vitamin C is good for human mastitis. Is she still nursing her kid? If not, I'd keep milking her. Iron can also be good if she's anemic at all. What color is the inside of her lower eyelid?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good advice above.

11. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    She has twins, they are 21 days old, but I plan on penning them up and then letting then out to nurse a few times a day, any time she tries to rest or eat they pester her until she moves and it's wearing her down.

Her lower eyelid is pale but it's always been pale, she's a pale gold color with light pink skin. No matter what I've done she's never darker than a 3 on the FAMCHA chart. I did go ahead and give her 4cc's of Red Cell yesterday and plan to continue that for another couple days.

One thing though, she seems to have developed a case of constipation with this round of antibiotics vs the liquid diarrhea she had last time.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    When you wormed, did you follow up 2 to 3 x 10 days apart?
    What wormer did you use and how much?

Cocci is another thing that can make them anemic, if left too long, get a fecal for that. Remember, cocci doesn't always show scouring as we once knew it. Is the goat thin?

Does she have loose salt and minerals out free choice with good copper and selenium in it? If not, she may need a copper bolus. Copper helps fight worms if she has them and is showing signs. Any fishtail look? Discolored hair?

What are you feeding her?

If she hasn't went poo, you can give her an enema.

Kids can be demanding if she is locked up with them. Do you have a place for her to graze. That way, she can tell the kids no a few times then, they will go and nibble of grass and be more occupied and can explore making it easier on mom.

13. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I used the liquid Safe-Guard which has the Fenbendazole. Dosed per her weight and again 10 days later. Fecal was clean. She has lost weight in the last two weeks while nursing and fighting the infection.

She has access to the Manna Pro loose minerals for goats, no prominent fish tail but I was planning on bolusing everyone next month. I might move that up to this week.

She has access to free choice alfalfa, which I haven't seen her more than nibble on in a few days, green clippings and leaves from tree branches I throw in on a daily basis. They get a dairy goat ration twice a day, but again she's not interested in it.

She's in a 150X200 foot pen. The kids don't bother her constantly but if she stands still long enough to try eating they are all over her and she walks away from the food. The kids have access to the alfalfa and fresh cuttings too, they just use it as a place to try and ambush their mom for a quick nurse.

14. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    If the bad side is still giving milk, don't let the kids eat on that side-milk it out and throw it away.

15. camooweal

camooweal Member

Jun 27, 2015
    To my mind, if this doe has black mastitis she'd be dead.

We've had cows develop black (gangrenous) mastitis and they've died in hours flat despite a vet being quite close. Over the years we've probably seen it five or six times and only one cow survived. I wouldn't think this type of mastitis would affect a goat differently?

camooweal

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    What is black mastitis? Just a horrible strain of mastitis?

17. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    The black areas are dead tissue I believe.:tears:

18. Kupla

Kupla New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Yes a section of her udder has died. I don't know for sure how much or if it's just the outside tissue or part of her actual mammary gland as well but there is a section that's about 3X3 inches that turned black, has no warmth, and is now a bit sunken in.

It's a terrifying situation because everything I've read points to it being incredibly lethal and she developed it so quickly. I'm not getting my hopes up but she was more active yesterday than I've seen in a few days.

19. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Ok, so all mastitis cases can turn into black mastitis?

20. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Yes. The tissue gets gangrenous and it can happen with all mastitis cases if not treated. Certain types for mastitis are more serious and fast acting than others, so gangrenous mastitis is very likely to develop is those cases.