Blood Draw Oops

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Stacykins, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Goats of da UP

Mar 27, 2012
    Escanaba, MI, U.S.
    I've drawn blood on animals before, so I know the technique and what to do. But toady threw me a curveball that I was not expecting. Everything is OK, thankfully. Drawing blood is pretty easy, but sometimes doesn't go smoothly, as I found out today.

Since I want to test my herd for CL, CAE, and Johne's disease, I needed to start drawing samples. So I started with Artie, my boer wether. Got him on the milk stand, gave him treats and a brushing, then got to work. The fur on his neck is quite thin, so I didn't need to shave a patch. And his jugular vein is very prominent and palpable. All is going well. NOT!

I broke the seal on the syringe, stuck him, and got a flash in the syringe (I use a needle and luer lock, rather than a vacutainer and accompanying needle, I just distrubute blood into the vacutainers with the syringe afterward), and drew. I got what I needed, yay!

Except when I withdrew, there was a cascade of blood! A few drops is normal and I always put on light pressure until it stops, but this was much more. I thanked my lucky stars I had no nicked an artery, but it took some time and significant pressure until it stopped. I am sure if the neighbors had popped over to borrow at tool at that moment, they would have thought I was a goat vampire or something. I was kneeling on the milkstand next to him with both hands pressed on his neck, with blood everywhere. I am certain it looked like more spilled out than actually did (a few mLs plus the splatter effect when they fall), but it was still freaky.

I am also glad Artie remained cool during all this. And the bleeding did stop within a few minutes. So now he is outside again sporting a gauze bandage held in place with pink wrapping. On the plus side, I did get all the blood I needed for the testing. :dazed:

2. WhisperingWillowNDG

WhisperingWillowNDG Nigerian Dwarf Breeder in TN

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    I'm always scared this is what will happen every time I pull blood!! Feel better to know that even if it does, it WILL be OK.. great job keeping your cool-- that's probably what kept him calm :)

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Yes, that can be scary. I have had it happen on crias.

4. Hobbyfarmer

Hobbyfarmer New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Mapleton Utah
    You may do this already but you didn't mention it in your description. Apply light, firm pressure directly over your needle as you pull it out then for 15-20 seconds after (while a clot forms). Don't pull the needle out then apply pressure after. This can cause a hematoma. You sound confident in your blood drawing. I hope this helps add to your technique for future draws.

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I wonder if the milk stand was putting pressure on the artery... causing it to back up? I used to draw blood on people... and when learning, I accidentally withdrew the needle while the tourniquet was still on. Poor little man was dressed all in white too!... bad day!

6. Hobbyfarmer

Hobbyfarmer New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Mapleton Utah
    Well I just watched 4 videos on youtube of blood draws on goats. None showed what I consider proper technique. I did however find one on a dog.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RiJ2TtCuSw&feature=related[/ame]

Just skip to 1:28 to see the hold off technique I'm talking about.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Goats of da UP

Mar 27, 2012
    Escanaba, MI, U.S.
    Oh no! Poor guy. Actually, I think you are spot on as to what happened. I use the headgate so they don't squirm, and push their head up a bit. If he was standing in a way that added more pressure to the vein, then woosh!

Yep, that is what I do, put gentle pressure as the needle is withdrawn. But it seemed the normal amount of pressure I use was not enough to stem the tide this time! And that dog video is great! I had seen some of the goat videos on youtube, and none of them seemed to do it right. Also, it seems that with livestock people throw sterile technique out the window!

8. MollyLue9

MollyLue9 New To Social Networking Not So Much To Goats

Oct 13, 2012
    Florida
    Wow, I'm glad that didn't happen to me! Not that I would be doing that, I only know how to give sub q and IM as of yet:). Still learning

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Scary! Glad the goat is ok though. :thumb: