Boer goat dragging back leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by moday, Aug 12, 2017.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    We were out of town and came home to a goat who was dragging her rear right leg. Goat is in no pain and you can move the leg all around, but still won't walk. We are suspecting she has a case of meningeal worm..... Any other thoughts? Plan to treat with safe guard at 10 times the dosage- any suggestion on paste vs liquid, and if using paste what is the dosage? Thanks in advance, Moday

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Easier to get the dosage right with liquid.

3. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Do you agree with Mengenial worm as first choice to support not working back leg?

I noticed a couple spots of hair loss and it says that is also an indicator. The two spots are on the back half of her body.

capracreek likes this.
  4. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I meant Meningeal worm.....

capracreek likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Yes. Start treatment now. You can always look for other things. But M worm gets to a point where treatment doesn't work so you must act fast.

capracreek likes this.
  6. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    How is she?

capracreek likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good advice, hope the goat will be OK.

capracreek likes this.
  8. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Goat not doing so good. I bought Safeguard yesterday am. So far, I used 12 ml that I had left on Saturday pm. I gave her 30 ml yesterday and this am at 5 am before work. So, I'll do 30 ml more for the next 3 days and see what happens. Since someone was watching our goats and was not really able to medicate, the response was slower than if I had been home so that is kind of a bummer. I have these questions if someone has the answers. Thanks in advance!
    1) How long should it take if the medication is going to be effective or maybe I got to her too late?
    2) Any advice on medicating the other 5 does we have? I was thinking of doubling the dose and give each goat 5-6 ml as a preventative.
    3) Can does with a buck (hope to breed soon) get the safeguard medication? Ok to breed at same time or need to wait a bit?

thanks!

capracreek likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Safeguard is the treatment. Ivomec is the preventative. Did you also give a shot of Ivomec? Did you give Banamine for inflammation?

10. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    How do you know Leg dragging is worms? Isn't there other issues that cause this? Selenium or copper deficits? Maybe I missed something-like -if a fecal showed worms?

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

If you have white tail deer in your area, you need to consider it and do treatment immediately. If you catch it in the beginning, the goat should recover but this leads to a definite death if not treated. If it isn't meningeal worm, the worst you have done is worm them really well.

odieclark likes this.
  12. Madgoat

Madgoat Active Member

How does one do a fecal count? I've done "sand" tests for my horses, and checked my dog's poo for tapeworms, but goats? All I look for is density/form (cocoa puff looking) moisture (should look moist but firm) I've never seen worms though.

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

There aren't that many worms that you actually see in their poop.

odieclark likes this.
  14. Madgoat

Madgoat Active Member

Then, what's the purpose of a fecal count. How is a fecal count done?

15. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You have to look at the fecal sample under a microscope. I have my vet do this periodically for a very small fee.

16. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Going back to the question from before (from KSALVAGNO), I didn't give her Ivomec as I don't have any right now. I do have Cydectin and may have some Ivermectin (pour on).....; what is the reason for Ivomec and will something else work? I kind of thought the 10x dose of Safeguard sort of trumped the need for Ivomec. I plan on doing that for 5 days, plus I used an addl 12 ml that I had Sat pm that emptied my last bottle. A second question, where do I get banamine? Is that something I can get a Tractor Supply or do I need to go to a vet? Can you use an Ibuprofen or something else? Thanks, Mike

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Nothing trumps doing the whole regimen. Do a search on Google for meningeal worm treatment. I believe Tennessee meat goats has it on their website. Understand that M worm is nasty and takes aggressive treatment. You can't fool around with it.

Banamine and Dex are part of the regimen. You have to get it from the vet. I have been successful with banamine alone.

odieclark likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I do agree.

odieclark likes this.
  19. Madgoat

Madgoat Active Member

Thanks for answering my question.

goatblessings likes this.
  20. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Good luck. It's a nasty worm and killer and we too have deer running rampant!

Keep us updated on progress obviously and good luck in finding treatments. You have two of the very best giving advice and trying to help-they are awesome!

Hoping for the best!