Bottle babies / constipated

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by HeatherYoung, Apr 20, 2017.

1. HeatherYoung

HeatherYoung New Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Hello everyone, I need some expert advice. I have 2 "sudden" bottle babies, they were with mama until Monday when she was unexpectedly lost, I agreed to take for my friend but I have not had bottle babies before.

Needless to say their diet has changed and caused some constipation. They will be 3 weeks tomorrow. What is the best route to help these babies start to poop again. I have had them since Monday afternoon. They are showing obvious signs of discomfort today. I have read vegetable oil, if that is the best choice, what dosage? They have been drinking warm water and molasses, but haven't witnessed any improvement so far.....help please!!!

2. cfish001

cfish001 New Member

yes, vegetable oil works. 2-3 cc every 4 to 6 hours.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Soapy water enemas work.

4. HeatherYoung

HeatherYoung New Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Is the soap hard on their intestines if it has to be repeated?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

No. You give an enema. Not orally.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good advice.

7. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    did it work? I had a bottle baby that was constipated and then got bloat and died in 15 minutes, so the oil didn't work.

8. I want to know too? What kind of milk replacement are you using?

9. HeatherYoung

HeatherYoung New Member

Jul 11, 2016
    I am using a product called "wet Nurse". It is made specifically for goats (it was actually the only product I could find specifically for goats/kids).

I used ALL the advice. I gave them vegetable oil with each feeding and I also gave the enema......repeatedly. I also added a little molasses to the formula. It took a couple of days, but we got things moving. Once I got them to start drinking water that really helped too. I had to syringe them water every hour or so. I am not sure if it was any one thing but it worked.

They are just thriving now on the formula and they seem to like it

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    That is great! Sometimes with goats, you throw everything at them and something finally works! Glad they are well now!