Bottle baby - help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WDFhaflinger, Feb 16, 2017.

1. WDFhaflinger

WDFhaflinger New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Hey,
    I am fairly new to goats and just received my first bottle baby. He was born on the 5th of February, so he is around 11 days old. I am not sure if he received any colostrum from his mother before they took him away. He is not eating real good and seems lethargic. I am going to get some Probios for him this afternoon. Is he too young to give a Vitamin B1 (thiamine) shot to? What else should I be doing? As far as I know, he has not received any vaccinations or dewormer.
    We are getting an ounce of whole cows milk in him every 4-5 hours. He has a little bit of diarrhea, and we gave him a dose of pepto. Help, I will be so sad if we lose him.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

What is his temp? Was he already on the bottle when you got him?

3. jschies

jschies Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Why are you only getting an ounce into him at a time? Is it because he seems hungry, but won't suck? Will he try at all? Had he been taking more and just stopped? If he was eating more and stopped trying to suck, think about floppy kid syndrome.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Weight? Rectal Temperature?

How much and what was he being fed until this point?

What is the poop like? Color/consistency? Kid milk poops should be fairly bright yellow and pretty soft.

Are you feeding the milk at 100* F? What type of bottle & nipple are you using?

Can you post a photo of the whole kid standing up? Does he do any bouncing or playing?

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Are you using the same kind of milk as the breeder was?

Is he your only goat?

You can give him a B complex shot.

6. WDFhaflinger

WDFhaflinger New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    I will get his temp in the morning. He is a Nigerian Dwarf and VERY small. If he is 2 lbs, I would be surprised. The lady I bought him from was feeding whole cow's milk, so that is what we are feeding. He is eating out of a baby bottle (human). He will suck for and little bit and then let go, he acts full. He is eating about 1-2 oz. Every 4-5 hours. That is how much the lady was getting in him as well. We warm up the milk to at least 100°, he will only take it warm. His poop was yellowish and then went runny. We gave him a dose of pepto and then it turned dark and sticky. I gave him a dose of Probios last night, so I will see what effect that has on him today. We have 6 other goats, ranging in age from 1 year to 10 years old. He goes out with them for a couple of hours during the day. The weather has been nasty for the last two days. He was much more active yesterday, and ran around most of the morning. Yesterday was the first day that it seemed his little personality was coming out. I am hoping the probios will increase his appetite.

What is floppy goat syndrome? This is our first bottle baby.

Attached Files:

7. WDFhaflinger

WDFhaflinger New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Ok, I looked up Floppy Kid Syndrome and it is not that.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Pepto will make the poop dark. He sure is cute!

9. Your baby is very cute. I had a tiny one a couple of years ago - less than two lbs. I fed her about an ounce but more often. Tried to do it like I though mom would - lots of sips all day long. During the night I gave her several feedings also. Kept her in the house for over 2 weeks. After a bit she took more and I could space the bottles out more. She did well - and finally grew up pretty normal sized.
    Good luck with your baby - very cute.

Attached Files:

10. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    He's darling! But he doesn't look like he feels entirely well-his tail is down in both photos. Are you milking any of your goats, that he can get raw goat milk?

Is his little tummy firm after he eats? According to my book's chart, he should be drinking 4 cups a day. If he's not eating enough you can use a large syringe to gently squirt milk between his cheek & back teeth so it doesn't choke him. He might be interested in nibbling on a little hay too.

11. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    You could try enlarging the hole in the bottle nipple--the milk comes out of human baby bottles (& human moms!) much more slowly than it does out of a momma goat--maybe he'd take in a little more before he gets tired or bored or whatever. Do you hold the bottle sort of upside down so his head is tilted up & back a bit, like when kids nurse from their mothers?