Brussel Sprouts

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by trainhound, Jan 1, 2009.

1. trainhound

trainhound New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Can goats eat Brussel Sprouts and the branch they are attached to?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have fed it to them before --- but they weren't to keen on them, I dont blame them BLECK!

3. FrancineR

FrancineR New Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Hello! Im a new goat owner of two Nigerian Dwarf goats.
    This afternoon while preparing some fresh Brussel sprouts, I put aside some leafs from the sprout and offered them to the goats. The female ate one and walked away, lol. The wether, on the other hand, took great pleasure in consuming what I offered him. I guess goats have personal preferences like we do. :)

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Welcome to TGS!
    Your doe is smart I wouldnt eat them either.
    Remember just a little, you don't want to overdo it.

5. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Mine love broccoli stems. We haven't tried brussels...

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    They likely won't eat the stem, but you can try. I LOVE brussel sprouts and the goats don't mind cleaning them up off the stems either!

Of course, all new foods in moderation. Don't go dumping 10lbs of sprouts in the pen.

7. rebelINny

rebelINny New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Mine love them! But I only give as a treat in the fall since I know they can cause gas in humans....so maybe bloat in a goat?

8. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Our goats got into my garden this year. Nary a Brussel Sprout survived..... and nary a sign of bloat....

Sigh... it was going to be a decent harvest.... pregoat.

9. siberian

siberian New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Wished I knew this when I was young, I would have got goats much sooner

10. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    I chop them up a little if they're too big. Don't goats have little mouths for their size?!?

Mine get every kitchen scrap I can save for them except animal products, chocolate, avocado & the green parts of potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants & peppers.

Beans & cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccolli & brussels sprouts give us gas because they have a sort of sugar molecule or something that we can't digest. Bacteria in our intestines, however, can digest it. Those bacteria then produce the gas. Beano pills give us the enzyme we lack so we can digest that substance instead of feeding the gas producing bacteria.

Since goats have such amazing digestive systems I'm betting they'd be able to handle it fine.

11. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Yes, they handle it just fine. I was REALLY looking forward to those brussels sprouts in my garden. Nary a one left I tell you:veryangry: