can goats eat whole corn??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bree00, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    can goats have whole corn kernals? or does it have to be cracked and ground?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    They can chew it, but I would crack it JIK, but straight corn can cause some issues with their poo. It loosens it up for some reason :shrug: makes it like cow pies not nice goat berries. As a treat its ok tho.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It is best to crack corn as whole corn does not properly digest in the rumen and can make them very sick.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I have to agree with ....Sarah... :wink: :greengrin:

5. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    well they already ate it! :worried:

6. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Then you'll be seeing mushy poop later, corn will upset their bellies if they get too much of it.

Mine would rather have the husks from the ears of sweet corn rather than the cobs themself.

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    If they didn't eat very much of it they should be fine--I let mine eat dried corn right off the cob sometimes...but I usually break the ear in half and give a half ear to each goat. Mine have never gotten diarrhea or a belly ache from that amount.

8. Zarafarm

Zarafarm New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    This what happend with whole corn.

No no they will die

They will not stand again cause of bloating

They will surely dead. Allmost 10 goats of mine totaly dead..

Its better Corn bran chaff with mixed small amount of water.

9. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    K - Zarafarm you are confusing ....

You didn't mention if you have meat or dairy goats. I think it makes a difference.

Personally - no corn for my goaties. Upsets their PH too much I think. If I'm feeding to fatten up then I will use a different grain/product. Not to mention I'm on a 'no GMO' kick recently.

HTH,

10. Emzi00

Emzi00 New Member

May 3, 2013
    Michigan
    Not to mention that this is an old thread.. ;)

11. Udder Insanity Toggs

Udder Insanity Toggs New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Saylorsburg, PA
    My grain mix is a whole grain blend, absolutely no grinding or cracking. I had more issues with cracked blends and pellets than when I switched to a whole blend. Just my expereince though, and I am using the same blend that my mentor has been using for 25 years - I recently purchased her two 4 year olds, a 7 yr old buck, and an 11 and 13 year old does who have been eating this all of their lives. No bloaty goaties here :)

Kelly :)