can i give my goat a bath??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BarrelRacer, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BarrelRacer

BarrelRacer New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    I have a black pygmy goat and she has lice I think I see little bugs I put seven dust on her and it is supposed to kill them but I was wondering if I could wash her and make her feel better any help is greatly appreciated thasnks!!

2. HoukFarms

HoukFarms New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Yes wash her with dawn dish soap just make sure u get all the soap out of her

3. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    yes dawn dish soap. just don't wash them often
    every once and a while is fine.
    it strips them of oils they need.

4. KermitWC

KermitWC New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Yes you can. My bucks get bathes.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Use horse or dog shampoo not human shampoo and its fine

6. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    I use dog shampoo and bathe frequently. My goats are starting to like it. I've not had any problems with dry skin...

7. BarrelRacer

BarrelRacer New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    thanks for all the help!!!

8. HoukFarms

HoukFarms New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    No problem :)

9. BarrelRacer

BarrelRacer New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    thanks any tips on leash training goats I have goats but I need to no how to get them leash trainied any tips???

10. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Yep feel free to wash em at will :) Just remember water is like acid to goats so you might be in for a fight! But if you do it enough they get used to it pretty fast. Legion, my pack goat has had water training since he was just a few months old and now not only follows me into the water when I go fishing but actually prefers it on hot days. Instead of eating at the bank, he will stands out in the water with me waiting for me to catch a fish.

11. BarrelRacer

BarrelRacer New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    thanks will keep that in mind lol!!

12. HoukFarms

HoukFarms New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Umm I usually start with putting them in the lead while they are in the pen but you have to watch them and then I use feed like hold it I front of him them walk in front of them and get them to follow u:)

13. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    I chain them
    ( I use the chains I make www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains )
    I don't even touch a halter.
    I usually put them on it and walk them around their pen. I have my mom walk behind me pulling his tail. they screem and slide but just keep them walking.

14. HoukFarms

HoukFarms New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I don't use a halter either I would rather them have a collar on that way when I use a show chain it's not that big of a difference...:)

15. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    same here. I hate seeing "start with a halter it will be easier." oh I beg to differ it just frustrate me even more lol and id rather train them with what im showing in but ya

16. The-bleating-goat-farm

The-bleating-goat-farm New Member

Jul 12, 2013
    My goats need bath my buck really needs one, should I bring them inside and use warm water or is it ok to bathe them with the water hose, and if there is a slight breeze can my babies get sick? I'm so paranoid they will get pneumonia. I drive my husband crazy worrying about my goats lol.

17. cheyenne

cheyenne Junior Member

Aug 20, 2011
    MO
    I'd like to know the answer to that too! It's been so COOL for July (that is NOT a complaint.. just an observation!) I would like to give a couple of mine a bath or at least attempt to. So how cool is TOO cool for a bath?

In order to do this, do you have to tie all four feet together or something???? :p Just kidding! LOL So how does one go about getting them used to being bathed?

18. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    bleatin g goat farm- the older ones will be fine with a hose even with a slight breeze not sure about the kids though

cheyeen- I have to wash my does in 60-70 degree weather they shiver some but once I dry them off their fine.

and I go about it just like you would a dog.

I actually use the goat head piece (hooks onto the fince) for the dog!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  19. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    i use a dog harness to start my leash training, as it gets the goat used to being pulled from the neck shoulder area, but ive heard that sheep halters work well, it helps if they are friendly and want to be with you.collar is last on my list. we have a goat that will go any where with you as long as it's not a show collar. we show her on a choke chain, but never hold it like a show chain, she freaks out!!

20. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    as for your question about baths dawn is the best for fleas and other insects they run to the ears though so be sure to wash the ears thoroughly, but you may want to put some cotton in their ears soaked in tea tree oil to protect the inner ears. i think the dawn with skin conditioner may be better, as regular dawn does strip the oils. just be sure to dry them thoroughly, we use goat coats in cooler weather.