Canning sausage is best sausage

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by Bansil, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    This Weekend was sausage canning day.

Started off at 6am with a run across the border to get our order from the farm

[​IMG]

80 pounds in the "official Cooler of basement dwellers" the Ozark Trail 52 qt

[​IMG]

and 40 more pounds in some cooler bags

[​IMG]

first order of business is to roll out balls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lot's and lot's of balls

Next into a 350* oven for 1/2 hour or so, mainly to "shape" the balls so they hold together when canning them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take them out when they look like this

[​IMG]

Next start pulling jars from dish washer and line them up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

start to load jars with meat, reserve the grease you will need it later!!

[​IMG]

put back in some grease

[​IMG]

1 tablespoon of water, it will help steam the sausage so it is tender

[​IMG]

Boil your lids, do not reuse old lids, it is not worth the money saved; put lids in alternating metal to metal, and seal to seal

This will keep them from sticking together

[​IMG]

While waiting for the water to boil, clean off top of jar and double check for chips or oddities

[​IMG]

2. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    Hot lids on

[​IMG]

Then rings and tighten hand tight
    [​IMG]

next pour water into canner (about 1-1/2, 2 qts I think it is)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd layer

[​IMG]

and turn on the burner

Lid is next, double check seal is not upside down and is in the groove
    [​IMG]

when we get to 10 pounds

[​IMG]

mark down time to take off heat, in this case it is 1 hr at 10 pounds

[​IMG]

LOOK [​IMG]

2 pre-ban pressure cookers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we even had a post ban one working

[​IMG]

after cooking and cool down, jars go onto a towel to cool so it doesn't melt Mawmas table clothe [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is some of our hard work[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after doing the last of the balls, I went ahead and made 20 pounds of patties, to go into freezer and then I will put about 10/12 into food saver bags and throw into the freezer for breakfast

[​IMG]

Wife and her sister near the end, wife was wearing her Pink ECORS shirt again, she wore same shirt to can potato soup [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lady that owns the farm gave us some back bone and "sweet meat" [​IMG]
    Last thing was to freeze the back bone, it will get smoked next weekend and then food saver sealed and into freezer for beans and greens
    [​IMG]
    Love some Tenderloin, this will end up being peanuty pork kabobs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope ya'll enjoy the pictures [​IMG]

3. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    WOW! That is a lot of work but so nice to have all that meat canned and ready to go. I do the same thing with sausage balls up to the canning. I put them in mason jars and then freeze. Canning is a good idea as I tend to run out of freezer space.
    Enjoy the fruits of your labors.:fireworks:

4. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Nice! what is "pre ban" pressure cooker mean? I have an All American 20something quart that I pressure can my meat in. I've never done sausage but now I think I will. haha

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh was a scrumptious looking bounty!

6. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    oopps... that was from another forum I posted it on :doh:

It was term coined after the Boston marathon bombing in 2013, which is more of a "joke" when talking about pressure cookers, newer pressure cookers are not made as strong in the lock sealing areas and the walls are not as thick as old ones (so they will no build up as much pressure as the old ones before they rupture)

One of ours is 50 years old and the other is almost 70 I think, wifes mom's and her mom's

It is really nice to have 3 pressure cookers for doing this, 2 are cooking while 1 gets cooled down and reloaded :thumbup:

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You will be eating good!

8. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Gotcha. I only have my one really big one. I wish I could use it on my flat top stove like you can! But the bottom is took big and I guess it'll crack the glass or something so I have to use it on my propane grill out on the lanai.

I've canned quite a few meats but not meatballs/sausage. So I might try that soon if I shoot a pig on our property.

I was always told that if I hot pack, I have to put broth in there and raw pack no broth. Also I was told to try to keep as much grease out as possible. So I am curious about your methods.

9. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    Everyone does it differently and apparently Ball has modified procedures over last couple years, they say do not boil lids? they say it messes up the seal and lids will warp (a lot thinner and cheaper now)

Also got gigged for not a long enough cook time (should of done it 1/2 hour longer) 1/4 of the folks disagreed with me; the rest do the same (the old ways I guess)

10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    You have the identical stove as I do. It must be strong enough to use for canning? I just got mine a couple of months ago (used) so I am still learning.

11. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I have done a lot of canning on my ceramic cooktop and so far so good. (I have scratched it some by sliding the pot across.) Mine is over 25 years old.
    I still put lids in boiling water as I feel I get more and better seals.

12. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    I agree and you dont know what is on the seal surface from factory

Gotta go make the brine for my next run of Canadian bacon...doing 6 pounds this time...yummy

13. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    I know folks with the smaller pressure canners can do it on their cooktops, but my pressure canner spreads out over like 5 inches bigger than the burner and it said the radiant heat would crack the glass? I think mine is like 17 inches in diameter on the bottom.

14. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    I'm not sure, once up to pressure we turn the stove down below medium so heat doesn't seem to be an issue

Only issue I have seen with these cook tops is Pops dropping a 6D maglight while changing a hood bulb... :shocked: ... that was a mess and $$$ to fix :doh:

being tempered glass there was 1.23 Million pcs of glass every where :sigh:

15. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Thought of this thread as I am in the process of "goat balls" and am going to try the canning method.

16. wifeof1

wifeof1 Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    You all are my heros.

17. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    What are you using for fat? or does goat have enough :scratch:

18. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I did not add any fat, just the little that was on the meat I ground.
    We just opened one of the jars this morning and they kept their shape and were delicious.
    There was a thin layer of fat on the top.

19. Bansil

Bansil New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    Cool, thats good to know, did you make a breakfast type sausage or?

20. TeyluFarm

TeyluFarm Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Williamsburg, Ohio
    What is your seasoning mix?