Cause of sores above and below hoof?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zcs, Feb 25, 2012.

1. zcs

zcs New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I'm posting some pictures of my goat's sores he has recently develop on all of his legs near his hoof. My other two goats do not have these sores and I'm wondering if someone might be able to tell me what's causing them? And what I should do about them? I have been cleaning them out with hydrogen peroxide and i'm going to start using a wound powder that I have used previously on my horse.

Also there's nothing in their pen that I can think of that would cause these sores. The ground is frozen with ice and snow in most parts but we have been having rain lately so there's mud in areas too.

Attached Files:

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Ice and snow in pen? Is it possible he's breaking thru some of it and scraping? That's kinda what it looks like to me.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I would not rule out mites. Do you have a good goat vet to go to? I would probably try to shave off the fiber and clean it good with chlorhexidine or betadine. I would clean it at least once a day.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I think it is Lice...the goat may be itching it ...as to why... it is raw looking...treat for lice.... :wink:

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    it does look a lot like some sort of parasite

LW

6. zcs

zcs New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks everyone, I started thinking it might be lice and went and bought some dusting powder, so tomorrow I will treat them with the dusting powder. And clean out and put new bedding down. Do you guys recomend putting it on all three of my goats? None seem to be irritated like Cookie. Also I noticed cookie's legs have alot of dry dead/scabby parts and his belly seesm to be irritated the most..does this sound like lice?

7. zcs

zcs New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Also I used Kopper Kare which is a fungicide and antiseptic on his sores, what do you guys think of this product?

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I haven't used it but sounds like it might be ok. I would treat everyone in the pen with the dusting.

9. apachedowns

apachedowns New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have had this in the past on a couple does and used Ivermec injectable and had great results......three doses 10 days apart

10. I think it looks like mites not lice but the Ivermectin injected like apache suggested should take care of both.

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I would have to agree that it's mites.

12. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    It could be mites, but it also looks exactly like a condition found in horses kept in wet conditions. Horses get it on their legs also, Clydesdales are very bad about getting it because of all the feathering on the legs trapping moisture after they get wet, it is called scratches in horses. With horses you wash the legs with an anti-fungal and dry thoroughly, you also have to try to keep them in a dry area. It is also good to clip the legs (just where the scratches are) to help keep it drier with less hair to trap moisture. I have also had success using a product called M-T-G on scratches. it is a sulfur based product, very oily but it works wonders. It is made by Shipley's. I think TSC carries it.

Here is an article about treating scratches in horses, they want you to use a mix of nitrofurazone, DMSO and thiabendazole http://www.anvilmag.com/farrier/101f5.htm

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Darn ...I did mean Mites...sorry... treat by injecting Ivomec.. :doh:

14. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    is it possible that it could be a zinc deficiency? I have a doe with what looks like the same thing and i was told zinc could cause the same sores/scabs

15. zcs

zcs New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I gave all three goats a dose of Ivomec on Sunday, and I'll do another dose again in a few days. I did use the powder as it also covers mites not just lice. The sores aren't getting worse so I think this should do the trick.

16. zcs

zcs New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I'm debating rather or not to call the vet...the sores around his hoof are better but he has scabs and dry dead skin all over both front legs. His belly is also very irritated and has the same scabes, like I said I used the powder and Ivomec...Can mites cause sores like this even on his belly?

In response to the zinc deficiency I don't think that would be the case, the hay they eat has been tested and the vet had told me it has all the nutrients they need in it.

Thoughts?

17. If it is spreading or not getting better then you should have the vet do a skin scraping to check for what type of mite it is or if it is fungal to know what to treat it with. The ivermectin injection should be repeated 7-10 days after the first not a few days later. That is timed to kill of any new hatching parasite eggs.

18. zcs

zcs New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Ok thanks, I gave the first Ivomec injection last Sunday so I'll give the next this Sunday.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    It does take time ...for the scabs to settle down and heal.... if you don't see any improvement by the next dosage... I would recommend ...a vet do a scraping of it..... I go 2 weeks later ...when I am fighting mites with the next injection...then a 3rd time if they are really bad with them...... use your best judgement.... :wink: :thumb:

20. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    These folks are probably right. It is most likely mites, not zinc. Mine just has the dry skin around her eyes and hooves. Not on her belly or legs.

With the dry skin and scabs though, I've been putting bag balm on the sores to help them heal. It has been working very well, and bag balm, (or vasaline) when applied thick enough can also smother mites. So that may be worth a try :)

But for sure get a scraping if it continues.