CDT vaccine - how to administer question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by junkprospector, Oct 11, 2013.

1. junkprospector

junkprospector New Member

Oct 3, 2013
    OK - pretty new to goats - we've had our two Nigerian Dwarf goats for a little more than a month. They haven't had their CDT vaccination yet, and i was going to give it to them this weekend. I don't have any experience with subQ injections. the only injection i have given is a IM antibiotic when our goats had a little sniffle. Are there any recommendations on where to give the injection at? I guess i'm just nervous about getting the needle placed correctly. Dosage? Our doeling is about 30 lbs, the wether is around 40 lbs - both born in June of this year.
    Thanks! John

2. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    My favorite is the loose skin behind the shoulder in front of the ribs. Behind the "elbow". Pick up a tent of skin, plunge needle in the tent, draw back to make sure you do NOT see blood, and administer. Then rub like crazy!

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

CDT is always 2cc. If they never had a CDT shot before than do a booster shot 3 weeks from first shot.

I like giving SQ shots in the neck where it meets into the body. Lots of loose skin there too.

4. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I give my CDT shots in the "armpit" just so they walk out the medication ans it does not sit in one area. Just what I do.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    And I give mine in the front of the shoulder.:p

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    I give mine over the ribs. My guys have cinches and straps the other places.