Check this out- reactions/ deaths from Colorado Serum Essential 3+T vaccine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by loggyacreslivestock, Apr 18, 2017.

1. https://www.facebook.com/cassie.fisher.735/posts/10209177339731256

This was brought to my attention today. I called the company and am waiting on a response from their vet.
    Goats are dying and having respiratory issues with this vaccine. Someone posted that they thought the vaccine was goat only in the past and is now multi-species. Does anyone here know if that is true? Anyone have an old bottle? I was going to vaccinate tonight out of a new bottle I just bought, but I am going to hold off until I get some answers. I also called my own vet and they are going to contact their distributor.

Thanks for any info.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I use Goatvac CDT. I buy it at TSC. Thanks for the heads up. That is just awful.

3. billiejw89

billiejw89 Active Member

Very scary! We use covexin 8

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I saw that! There's a breeder someplace that I'm FB friends with and about a month ago she was talking about someone that had issues with the vaccine too but I'm not sure what brand it was.

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I actually used this on all my 10 kids this year, including boosters. I had no cases of any reaction or illness to the vaccine. Hopefully this is something that is not an ongoing common problem, otherwise, I'll have to throw out the remainder and switch! Thanks for the heads up.

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Wow, that is terrible. :(

7. I used it on all of my kids this year, as well, but used last year's bottles, with the 2018 expiration dates. I wonder if this due to a bad batch of vaccine, versus the vaccine itself? I have all of these new, 2019 expiration date bottles in my fridge waiting for boosters. Guessing I should throw them out?! Scary!

8. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Active Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    That's the brand I have always used in the past, still have my bottle from a couple of years ago, so I have not bought any in 3 years or so.

The bottles I have does not say specifically for goats, it has the dosage for cattle and sheep as well as goats.

9. Damfino

Damfino Active Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    That's very scary! This is the brand I always use. However, I think I'd like to call and talk to the company myself before jumping to conclusions based on a Facebook post. If the vaccine has caused this problem multiple times they should be issuing a recall or making some sort of public statement before the government steps in and forces them to. Bad drug reactions are serious business.

10. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    whats scary is the company is aware of the problem and not pulling it off the shelf..so sad..this is not the first time I have seen posts about the reaction being deadly...

edit Damifino I read your post after I posted LOL..

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree Damfino. I do not have a Facebook account, but I did read some of the comments before they said I had to join or sign in. One poster stated there was a blue line down the kid's back. (An ill kid allegedly from the vaccine, I guess). Maybe they combined some wormer with the CDT shot and it made a bad reaction.

12. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    ^^Possibly, but, the vet said he knew exactly what was going on because they'd had a lot of similar reports of the same reaction. That doesn't sound like a bad batch.

From what I understand, the Colorado serum is the only one that doesn't have to be thrown away after use because of some preservative they put in it. And it's that preservative that's causing the reactions.
    Other types of CD/T (Bar Vac, Goat Vac etc.) don't have that preservative.

13. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I hadn't heard it needed to be thrown out. Yikes. I've had mine for several years, it says it expires in Aug of the year. Should I throw it out?

14. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    What brand do you have?

15. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Merck

16. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Active Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Colorado Serum is the company. Here is the post in its entirety off facebook:

If you vaccinate your goats for CD&T you might want to read this. I vaccinated all my 4-6 week old kids yesterday evening with Essential 3 + T by Colorado serum. I have used this brand for several years bc I had less injection site reactions and shot knots with this brand. This morning we found our kids all almost dead. They were incoherent like they were passed out drunk. When they tried to get up they stumbled around on weak legs like zombies in a daze. I thought they were all gonna die. I called the number on the bottle and spoke with the veterinarian at the Colorado Serum lab. He knew exactly what was happening. He said there had been many reports in the last 2 years of this same reaction happening including fatalities. He called it a delayed shock. He said it targets the lungs & I could give banamine to help with inflammation & fluid in the lungs caused by the reaction. At this point I was in sheer panic & devastation thinking that I had potentially killed 25 kids with this vaccine. By then I had one dead buck kid and many others that seemed close to death. Some that were not as sick as others were gradually getting worse. I tried giving benadryl on a couple to see if it helped but it didn't seem to make a difference. They slept like rocks most of the day not even getting up when their mothers hunted them down trying to get them to nurse. Some finally seem like they are making improvement. Some are still really sick. The vet requested that I take the dead kid for a necropsy at their expense. I plan to do that in hopes that they fix this or take it off the market. I am posting in hopes it saves someone else's kid crop! Its a terrible, helpless feeling when you have 15 kids laying in front of you on the verge of death bc of something you did to them. Can't help but beat myself up. I hope Mine sleep it off and I don't lose anymore. I won't be giving anymore CDT's. To say the least, this description is a nice, calm version of what went on here today as many of my friends could only imagine. I am mentally and emotionally drained and praying our babies recover. __________________

17. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    The poster talked with Colorado Serum's representative that is a Vet at Colorado Serum. The person told the goat owner that this had happened alot....

With that said, how could we be doubting the person who posted this? It obviously happened and is happening to lots of people if Colorado Serum is admitting to this.

Money.....is probably why they aren't pulling it.

But they just lost my business.

18. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    Yeah apparently you are supposed to use the entire contents right after opening...

19. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I just was thinking back to when I gave CDT shots last year. We used Colorado Serum. And at the time I had at least two or three of my goats acting very strange. They were lethargic and acting very strange...not wanting to eat.....it took a day or two for them to rebound. I had never had a reaction like that to a vaccine.

I never thought much about it until now.......I am so glad we didn't loose any of them!!! But we definitely did have a reaction!

20. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Oops :sigh:

I'm pretty sure I only used it for the one batch of kids last year. Haven't used it since. I will be throwing it out!