Come Read About the Idiot...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MosbyRidgeFarm, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MosbyRidgeFarm

MosbyRidgeFarm New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Hi! I'm Melissa and I live in South Central Kentucky on twenty-five acres with my husband and son as well as two horses, a donkey, 8 dogs, 5 cats, four birds, 25 chickens, and 16 Nigerian Dwarf goats. I started the goat thing last June by buying a small herd of three does with seven babies with plans to breed them and sell the babies. I thought with all my animal raising experience, goats would be easy. :sigh: My first mistake was buying a buckling without having him checked out and he introduced CL to my herd. :tears: He developed an enormous abscess on his neck which was treated at my vet's hospital and I left him there for quarantine. Unfortunately, after a week there, I brought him home and the abscess came back and burst in their pen before I caught it. We decided to put him down, but knew we were basically stuck with CL in our herd at that point. I had one of the wethers abscess about two months after that and we put him down as well. :tears:

In the meantime, all but one of the does was bred by the buckling, and no more abscesses have appeared since March. All six does had a total of eight beautiful babies and are all great mommas. :fireworks:
    Yesterday morning, I found one of the does with a lump on her neck. :sigh: Her baby is only about 4 weeks old (born 5/25) Because of the CL I do not plan on selling any of them, and will keep the herd as pets. I don't think I can handle any more culling :tears: so I'd like some advice on what to do at this point, realizing that it will probably be happening again and again.

I'm thinking I should wait until the abscess ripens, put her in a horse stall to separate her, lance it and clean it, and wait a few days for it to heal. In the meantime, does the baby need to be bottle fed? Or should I leave her with momma? And, honest question here, does separating her knowing the CL is already in the environment really help matters any or should I just leave her with the herd?

I'm sorry to go on so, and I hope it was coherent. And I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you. :)

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The baby probably won't take a bottle at this point. A idea! After you lance it can you cover it so that the pus can not come into contact with the kid? I'm thinking some cotton something or other and some vet wrap. It might work might not but at least you tried and baby can stay with mom.
    I think it is very much worth not keeping her with the herd. Now that sheep and goats are being more looked into since they are no longer $50 animals they have found that cl does not live in the ground for years and years like they thought. Damp and cool (perfect living conditions for it) is like 6 months tops. Hot and dry is much less.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

At only 4 weeks old, I'm not sure it would be CL. I would watch it closely and lance it before it bursts then have pus tested.

4. MosbyRidgeFarm

Jun 19, 2017
    Jessica84 - thank you so much for the info. I will definitely separate her and the baby and try to cover the wound. That's very encouraging to know that about the lifespan of the virus in the ground. It certainly is not damp and cool here in Kentucky.

ksalvagno - I'm sorry, it's the mom that has the lump, not the baby. I was just concerned about separating them during quarantine of the mother and how to deal with the doeling - that's why I mentioned her age.

5. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Active Member

May 21, 2017
    I was reading a few days ago and saw something (no clue where at this point) about injecting the abscess with. ..goodness, I am about 100% sure it was formaldehyde. They can be left with the herd, the abscess dries up and harmlessly drops off. It might be worth looking into.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Welcome, I am so sorry you're having such a hard time.

You were given good advice, I hope everything gets better for you.

7. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California

Yes!!! There is also another study I saw on a vet page where they inject it with some kind of antibiotic during a certain stage of it growing and it's supposed to go away.

8. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Those sounds like some pretty promising (and exciting!) Options for someone dealing with this. I think it would be definitely worth trying.

9. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I did a fast search on the group and can't find it. I know a vet shared it but said he himself has never tried it but I can't even start to guess what it is that was used :/

10. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    I will try, as well. Maybe one of us can find a link to post.

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Tulathromycin at 2.5 mg per kg of body weight directly into the abscess for at least 15 days... Treatment cured 50% of the animals.

12. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Every day for 15 days??? New goat mom it didn't work

14. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Hmmm....it''s clickable on mine. So apparently formaldehyde is a gas and formalin is the liquid but you inject formalin just once into the abscess and it does the job.

I tried fixing it.

15. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    The Formalin only kills that one abscess. The Tultathromycin kills the disease in the blood as well. .
    An alternative would be to use the Formalin in the abscess and do the Tulathromycin SQ.

16. MosbyRidgeFarm

Jun 19, 2017
    Thank you for all the info everyone! :-D I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

I've read about the formalin injection. Sounds like you really have to time the injection just right for it to work. Too soon and the abscess hasn't ripened enough for all the CL to be killed, too late and the abscess bursts and you have a mess anyway.

The antibiotic injection sounds interesting, but with only a 50% success rate for two week's work (and hospitalization if I were to have it done, I wouldn't do it myself) I'm not sure it's worth it. Especially when they say the survival rate for CL infection is 15 to 50% anyway.

I'm thinking I'll just wait to see the hair start to come off the abscess and it to soften and then put her in quarantine with her baby.

This is Ginny, the goat we're discussing, and her doeling Hermione. <3
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...85165590051.2048618.1259353498&type=3&theater

17. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    It might be because I'm on my phone.
    Ok, I thought it was per abscess, I was gonna say lancing would be cheaper and way less time!

18. MosbyRidgeFarm

Jun 19, 2017
    goathiker - we posted at the same time! That's interesting about using both the AB as well as the formalin. I'd love to see a study with the success rates.

19. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Goat Hiker, are you saying that CL may now be curable, or are you just meaning you can make an abscess go away, but they will get new ones?

20. Steampunked

Steampunked Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Are the CL abscesses singular, or do they end up with fingers? I've been wondering (and know how difficult fingered abscesses are to heal).