Copper Bolus(How to with pictures on page 2)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Aug 4, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have read about it but how many of you do it? A friend of mine is insisting that I do this to my goats, but I don't really see a reason to. They have free choice minerals so I figure if they needed it they would get it in the minerals. As far as I can tell none of them seem copper deficient. Can anyone give me more info on this? I find it confusing. :?

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Re: Copper Bolus

I did my first bolusing after dithering about it for a year. My vet sells a mineral mix for sheep and goats that does NOT have copper so I use that because it does make me nervous to add extra copper.
    The lady who sold me Timber has bolused a couple of times and said it was dramatic in that she stopped having problems with hoof rot. I have problems with hoof rot and staph infections and decided that , despite what the vet said, to try bolusing- I was worried about Tim's drying up for this year- last year she got staph mastitis.
    I read an article that says most of the copper rods are pooped out right away and drops in effectiveness within two months. In all that I have read about bolusing, no one has said they lost a goat to copper toxicity- many have said it helped.
    so I tried but it hasn't been long enough for me to tell yet.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Here's some info my aunt sent me. It came from a woman who works w/ a lot of natural remedies, sells them too. Here's her website: http://firmeadowherbs.tripod.com/ - You can order the copper boluses from her, she sells them in smaller quantities.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I have a goat that has a copper deff. and I was wondering if there was any other way to get copper in her without the bolus?

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Alyssa, here's an website that answers that question. http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/coppersulfate.html I'm going to mix some up today, I think, or soon anyway. I'll let you know how things go. I have one black doe that has that copper looking black coat, and another that lost the hair from the tip of her tail. Wish me luck!

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

Good luck Di. My goat is black and tan and her black is wirey and curly on the end instead of slick. I have had free choice minerals out but I guess her kids took it all from her.

7. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I just went and bought some Copper Sulfate from the local Co-op....I bought a 5lb tub for $20...should last a long time. I will let everyone know the result I get.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

I bought a buck from from Kat as well as a bunch of herb mixes that helped get my favorite doe back into condition. She is a very helpful person :)

We used to do the copper drenches that Di posted and I had great success with it using on my deficient goats to get them back on the road to being sufficient. What I like about the drenches is that it is hard to OD them with it, but it gives them just enough copper to get back to where they should be.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

One thing we bought (another breeder suggested it for my aunt's goats) is for horses, HorseGuard. It looks like a pink pelleted grain. Sometimes my goats love it and then other times they just pick at it. I don't remember it being awfully expensive but I'm sure it costs more than a drench or the boluses.

Yes, Kat is very, very nice and very helpful too. She has some beautiful goats too! I just love all her herbal "concoctions". Her probiotic powder is the best we've used w/ our goats - and so much cheaper than the other brands! :) Anyways, she's a very neat lady.

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

goathappy, how long did it take for your goat to get back to a sufficient stage? I am doing the treatment posted on the website doing it twice a day, just wondering if a second treatment was needed.

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

What I've read is that the copper bolus (copper rods) need to be in a certain place in the rumen which means that the capsules need to not to be chewed. Then a small part of the rods lodge in the folds of the rumen- what doesn't stay in those folds is pooped out right away. Then the rods release a safe amount of copper (in a copper deficient goat) for about 3-4 months.
    This location of copper does reduce stomach worms (including barber pole worms)- oral copper does not effect stomach worms although I didn't read whether it is absorbed for normal nutrition- I can't help but think it is otherwise people wouldn't have the good results with copper sulfate.

12. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho

We've had good luck with the copper boluses. I think my mom was able to get extra empty capsules at a local health food store for cheaper than ordering out of a goat magazine-plus she was able to get a higher quantity of capsules to. Although I think you have to order the copper itself through the magazine. The hair on her Saanens is looking much better since she began giving them copper. I've heard of it bringing rusted colored goats back to their original color pretty quickly.

14. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

it has brought mine back very quickly! Her rusty color is almost gone

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  16. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

yes that will work. I found my copper sulfate at our local farmers co-op. but that will work. not sure on the dosage but i think i have some info on that product...let me find it and i will post it

17. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks, do you think I would give less since she is so small? Or is it one dose fits all kinda thing?

19. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

im not sure but i would give her less.

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

I recommend giving nigerians half doses, so she would get 10ccs twice a day instead of 20. How old is she and what color?