Dandruff

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Suellen, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    My goat has dandruff and her fur is thinning. She is a 2 year old doe that just had triplets 11 weeks ago. I started giving her Aloe Vera Juice a couple of days ago on the recommendation of a friend. I'm not sure what else to do for her :scratch:
    Suellen

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you already feeding BOSS? (black oil sunflower seeds) if not I recomened adding that to the grain.

How much Aloe juice are you giving her? I gave 6ccs to my pygmy doe for like a week straight. Then I added a "glug" to their water buckets (1 1/2 gallon each)

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What kind of minerals are you feeding?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It could be a cooper def. I also am doing the Aloe Vera juice to a doe that was totally bald. It really helps. Also, could she be getting sun burned and it is pealing?
    I second the BOSS, although it doesn't seem to be helping my doe. I give them handfuls as treats. And the mineral, what kind are the getting?

5. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I am giving her 8cc of the aloe vera juice. She is a full size Alpine/Ober. I will see about getting some BOSS. How Much? As far as minerals she has a standard, non-sheep, lick. I don't think it is sunburn because her fur isn't that thin and she has it on her belly. It doesn't seem to bother her she is not scratching. :scratch:

Suellen

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    By lick do you mean mineral block? If you mean a block, some goats can't always get enough minerals from the block because it takes a lot to get it off the block :wink:

Her skin, is it smooth or dry and flaky? It is it smooth, it is copper deficiency, it it is dry and flaky is it zinc.

7. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Yes, I mean a mineral block. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a mineral block? The world may never know. :slapfloor:

Her skin looks dry and flaky. If I scratch her it produces more flakes. Would it do that if her skin was smooth? If she has a deficiency of zinc how do I get her more?

Suellen

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No, it wouldn't flake at all if her skin was smooth.

As to the zinc, I am trying to figure that out myself :scratch: A breeder friend told me that there is a zinc supplement out there, I think its called ZinPro I've been trying to find that.

9. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The mineral block can be smashed with a hammer to pea size pieces as well as making it dusty so they can access it readily....I've done that with the trace mineral blocks that I've had to use in the past due to their availability. Hope the suggesstions you've already received help her out.

10. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    It is possible it is a mineral deficiency, sure sounds like it. I have a doe (who is black; black/darker goats are more prone to copper deficiency) who had dry flaky skin and her flanks had a reddish tint, but everybody else was fine. I started giving copper bolus and her condition changed drastically, her skin stopped flaking and her coat became silky smooth, and she turned really black. The other does were fine, sometimes they just don't get enough from their mineral blocks.