Dehorning Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by onehorse_2000, Nov 13, 2012.

1. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Got a new little gal over the weekend, 4 months old, with little horns. I am going to attempt to use bands to dehorn her. My question is, having never done this before, do I need to burn what remains afterwards? Which is better, paste or iron? And will the horns come back and need to be rebanded? I read a lot on here about doing this but wasn't sure if the first round of banding was the last or will I need to continue with it?

2. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    If she is small (nigie) and the horns are small I would give her some banamine for swelling and pain and then start at them with an iron. You can usually work at the base pressing at the bottom and pop them off. Then burn again real well.

Start on one side - after 2-3 times - go to the other side --- then switch again and keep this up till they are off.

Banding little horns I think isn't as easy as burning them and banding is more painful.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

http://goat-info.com/removing horns adult.htm

Here is a link that gives step by step instructions on banding horns. I have banded an adult which took a long time but I have heard that banding them young is not bad at all and goes very quickly.

It will all depend on how big the horns actually are or if the iron can fit over it. I would say the paste is out because that really only works when the buds first pop out.

4. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The horns are pretty small yet, about 2" tall. The gal that had her doesn't have an iron and tried the bands on her. Her bands made an indent and the top 1" may already be dead or easy to knock off, but the base is a bit thicker, but still only about 2 - 3 pencils around. So, decisions, decisions.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

If you follow the instructions on the link I gave, banding should be really easy and effective. It sounds like the base of her horns may be too big for the iron.

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Goats of da UP

Mar 27, 2012
    Escanaba, MI, U.S.
    Horns before
    [​IMG]

Horns after
    [​IMG]

I banded my boer wether, a companion, after he strangled another goat to death when his horns got caught in her collar. My fault for leaving the collar on, but because his horn are small, I went for it. I used the green bands used for wethering with a cheap bander.

Not a fun experience, especially for him. It was very painful. Horns take a while to loose the blood supply, and thus the feeling. So he felt pain and pressure on his horns for a while. Before I applied the bands, I gave him a dose of banamine. I also dosed him every twelve hours for a few days. If I didn't, he would grind his teeth, and also cry out if the slightest thing brushed his horns, because it hurt.

He also refused come near me, because I was the one who did that to him. The first horn came off after only two weeks, very premature. Thankfully, it did not bleed too much, I was able to catch him and hold pressure to it. The second horn came off a month later. I changed the bands every two weeks, also so I could check the progress. They began with a slight indentation, and those got deeper and deeper each week. I actually used several bands per horn, in order to compress the absolute base of the horn. It worked quite well.

That entire time, he was terrified of me and unhandleable. It has been a few months since the ordeal finished, but he still isn't as friendly as he was before I removed his horns.

So if you do it, please do use a pain reliever, because they really do need it.