Disbudding video, Finally :P

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Sep 8, 2011.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  2. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Do you burn that long with a good iron? Because, that means I don't burn nearly long enough!
    Thank you for the demonstration!

3. Great video!
    Thanks for sharing!!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep. Only thing wrong with my iron is the sides of the iron are smaller and not as thick as they use to be, so I move the iron a lot more. Plus the base moves and it shouldn't.

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Really nice job! Thanks so much!

6. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Great video! Thank you!

Couple of questions though. Do you normally disbud kids that have that much horn growth? Is it better for them that way? How often do scurs appear after?
    Thanks!

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This was not normally when I disbud. This baby had joint ill and I couldn't disbud her at the normal age because she already had an infection and her immune system was very low. I also didn't know if she was going to make it, so I didn't want to put her through unnecessary pain.

So this is a doeling at about 2 months of age. I've done goats with more horn growth that have done fine and lots of goats with less horn growth. I will get a video of one with less horn growth when I had kids again.. hopefully. lol This video was spur of the moment. I was about to burn and stacey was like, WAIT let me get the camera!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I disbud when the horn growth is just a bit less then this. I like to actually see the horn growing so I know if I got all the way through or not.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh I really thank god I do not do that. That is just horrible. I could not imagine doing that to those poor babies. Hearing that baby scream and cry mad me sick to my stomach.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sry Lori. I usually say sorry to them the whole time, but I knew I was being recorded. :help: :oops:

I hate doing it, but you can't show them with horns and it's not fair to the others to have a goat with an advantage in their play fights that can really hurt them. It makes it safer with the fencing and containment as well.

11. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for the video... It's really helpful to actually see it being done.

man, it made me feel light headed and sweaty watching it with the sound on. I actually butcher my own kids, start to finish all on my own, with no problem at all. Doesn't bother me one little bit. But I am not sure I could do disbudding without passing out. I may need to find someone local who will do it for me. I still feel woozy.

I just leave the horns on my meat goats, I was trying to decide if I was going to disbud my mixed breed dairy doelings (if I get some *crossing fingers*) and was considering getting my own iron but I think I will see about having someone I know do them if I ever have any purebreds that I might want to sell.

12. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

Thank you for posting this. My husband will want to see this. Now I know why our disbudding wasnt successful last year with horns growing all back in. We didnt burn long enough. I sure had a hard time watching this and kinda have a headache now. Wow.. .. good video.

13. packhillboers

I seriously do have a headache now. Don't take it personally.- Just empathy pains. It is good to see someone else disbud their goats. We are still thinking upon it. Thanks for sharing.

14. packhillboers

The good thing about it is: The goats didnt seem to remember that we had caused them so much pain and were just as loving as ever the next day(days that went on) They are so traumatized from it that I think it is something they dont remember. None of our goats were afraid of us after our disbudding last year. All is good the next day and life carries on like nothing happened to them.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, Most people don't burn long enough. And Please note this is a doe, not a buck. i burn longer and more area on a buck.

16. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh wow. :shocked: Sorry, I know everyone has their own method of dehorning, but I was really shocked by the length of time the iron was on the horn bud.... It takes about 3 seconds with my kids, and I very rarely get scurs. Do you always burn that deeply?

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    As long as you don't press down with a lot of force I think it's fine. I know someone who did that and they burned through the skull. I've never done it that long but there are times when I should have, just because I usually put burning off and sometimes I haven't done it right the first time. You have to have the confidence in knowing what you're doing, yet not have so much force that you do damage. I usually hold their bottom jaws and put my thumb in their mouth so I don't have to listen to the screaming.. It's the smell that does me in! Blugh!

18. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Is it safe to say there comes a point when the kid is screaming that it is screaming because you are holding its head still and covering its eyes?? I really feel after a point they don't feel the pain as much as they don't like being held so still. Call me crazy...(really, you can if you want). We aren't burning long enough. All in all about 5 lessons learned this year (ARGH), and when the next kids are born, we will be watching this video before disbudding! FOR SURE! :hair:

19. packhillboers

We have two unicorn looking goats out there from disbudding gone bad last spring.

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you felt that you had to say sorry before beginning your post, then the post probably doesn't need to be posted..FYI. ;) Please think and re-read your posts before posting and if you think it is going to make someone mad, then don't post it.

Yes, This is how long I burn for. Burning for less time and growing scurs OR burning burning repeatedly because you didn't burn long enough the first or second time , IMHO, is just as cruel.

Every person is going to burn their own way and length of time depending upon the disbudder, weather conditions, horn growth, ect. I ALWAYS burn down to the skull. If you don't burn down to the skull then the disbudding may not take, but if you burn to the skull and then pull off the cap you probably wont get scurs. I have disbudded hundred of kids are varying levels of horn growth and I know what works best for me and my goats. All goats are given banamine and watched carefully after disbudding. To date I have never killed a goat or burned "too far". I let the iron do all the work and I don't push down, I only push to the side when trying to pop the cap off.

If anyone has any more questionable comments to post I will lock this topic. I would prefer you PM me if you feel you don't like what you saw. I am happy to answer any questions. :)