Doe and Buck Vs Billy and Nanny

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NubianFan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. NubianFan

NubianFan New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Arkansas
    Ok so I just started my foray into the world of goats but I grew up in the country on a farm. We always called male goats Billies and females Nannies, and of course the castrated male Wethers. The babies we called Kids. When I started researching goats everyone called the males Bucks and the females Does and the female babies doelings and the male babies bucklings and the castrated males were still Wethers. Somewhat like deer. I just wondered what y'all thought about the terminology? Do you call anything a billy or a nanny or a kid? If so what do you consider the difference between a billy and a buck a nanny and a doe, or is it just different terms for the same thing in your mind? Just wondering.

2. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead

I think I heard that the old terminology holds a negative aspect to it...can't remember exactly but I heard it is deemed appropriate to use Doe, Buck vs. Billy, Nanny...

3. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I always use the correct terms-Buck, does, bucklings, doelings, wethers, etc. Always have in 30+ years of goats. I never use Nanny or billy. To me that sounds like slang and is degrading and demeaning to the animals.

4. Sylvie

Sylvie city-turned-country girl

Feb 18, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    Buck, doe, kid, & wether. ;)
    The difference between a buck & a billy: $$ :D

(from http://www.boergoats.com/clean/articleads.php?art=857)
    OK... so what's the difference between a buck and a billy; between a doe and a nanny?
    In my mind it's quality, not pedigree. A male goat with outstanding conformation to breed standards and great production records is a buck. A female goat with those same qualities plus great mothering capabilities is a doe. All others are either billys or nannys.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  5. NyGoatMom

:rofl:

6. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Billy and nanny are slang words. Most goat owners roll their eyes at people who use the slang. So depending upon how "into" goats someone is the more likely they are going to use the correct terms, Buck and Doe. No harm in what you call em though. I call udders, sacks just to annoy my other half. Though the correct slang would be bag. I also liked what I heard from a Montana cattleman one time. "Oh so you raise goats? The poor mans cattle" :)

7. NubianFan

NubianFan New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Arkansas
    After drinking the milk I am thinking he may have the poorer option. I used to LOVE cow's milk I drank so much I developed an allergy. (at least that is what my allergist said) I had always heard that goat's milk was strong tasting, after tasting it, to me it is much tastier and creamier.

8. NyGoatMom

Well I think getting "poor mans cattle" would be a wiser choice....I mean, cleaning up after a goat...or a cow.....hmmmmmmm Easy choice for me! LOL

9. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    LOL you so hit the nail on the head!!!

10. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I was told the difference between and buck/Doe vrs Billy/nanny is like the difference between Walmart and Target lol

but its just a term some grow up using...and are used to..

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    It stems from old school terminology, years ago, goats, were just goats, kinda thing. Some people still feel that way and we do not like hearing it. But some of the old schoolers, still call them nanny and billy. I have a goat friend, that still calls them nanny and billy. He is a brusher.
    Now, they are highly respected and shown, the terms changed to Buck and Doe, cause goats are not just goats anymore. ;)

12. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I use Doe, Buck, Doeling, Buckling, Wether terminology. I also use Senior Doe, Junior Doe, Milker, etc
    I've never used nannie or billie...

13. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    I think "buck" and "doe" just sounds way more refined than "nanny" and "billy". It makes me think of deer, which are so elegant, versus an old, shaggy, stinky horned goat, such as people who are also under the impression that "goats eat tin cans" might think of when someone says goat. :)

14. Sylvie

Sylvie city-turned-country girl

Feb 18, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    Thank you :eek: I actually heard it somewhere else...although now I'm not sure where

15. NubianFan

NubianFan New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Arkansas
    Now see... I don't even like, Target never have. And I hate it when people pronounce it like a French word without the t sound. To me Target isn't anymore refined than Wal-Mart in fact it is the cheesier option. LOL Maybe it is different in other towns or states, but our Wal marts are clean and organized and well stocked and our Target's are dirty, sloppy, and just ewww. Now I would have understood that better if someone said the difference between Wal-Mart and Dillards. (no offence to you HappyBleats, just my Wal-Mart rant LOL)
    We grew up calling them nannies and billies but rabbits buck and doe, I always thought that was weird, to me, the goats were closer to deer than rabbits so calling goats buck and doe makes more sense to me, but it also makes me think rabbits should be called something else. By the way, we have a male rabbit my daughter named BuckEye Joe. I just think that is a funny name.

16. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    I always thought that too! Though my sister, who just recently got a Holland Lop, was telling me the other day how rabbits work rather like goats ( they have rumens, eat hay, etc.), so it made a little more sense to me then, but I still think it's weird. :shrug:

17. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    no offence taken lol..around here its the other way around..Walmarts are unkept and trashy and Targets are more like a Dillards lol..

18. .:Linz:.

.:Linz:. Look for me in the barn...

I use buck, doe, buckling, doeling, wether, and kid.

I also tend to, when window shopping for goats, scroll past the ads that use billy and nanny in their titles - perhaps wrongly, but my reasoning is that a person who's serious enough about their goats will use the correct terminology, those who are just-for-fun backyard breeders (nothing wrong with that per se, just not my goal for my herd) tend to use billy and nanny.

19. NyGoatMom

Just like it seems so weird to me how people call their rabbits a "herd"...I keep mine separate from each other except for breeding....so "herd" seems ridiculous to me!

Oh and here? Wal-Mart is unorganized, dirty, filthy bathrooms and I hate having to go there...but Target is clean, organized and well stocked. LOL

20. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Around here the old-timers use billy and nanny, but this is cow country and goats are not taken seriously for the most part. I refer to goats as bucks, does, doeling, buckling, and wether.