Doe that was given lute still pregnant!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Bree_6293, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    So my doe was bred unplanned, got her aborted day24 days later. Now day 74 I got pregnancy test results back (blood) and she is still pregnant!! Bloods pulled 4 days ago.
    So my questions are:
    Is it best to just let her go to term now?
    Will the kids be deformed?
    Should I get her aborted now and what strain will that put on her?
    Is there a chance the kids are dead inside but she is still carrying them?

She is currently still acting perfectly normal, no health problems but she is my best doe!!

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    In my opinion, lute now would be very hard on her. Lute is pretty rough on a doe anyway.

3. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    It wasn't lute is was another drug but same affect. It worked on 2 of them and they didn't even change. They cycled 3 days after and then again 21 days after and are still empty (haven't attempted rebreeding) I'm more concerned that we used it and she is still carrying. I am just wanting to be sure that the kids (unborn) won't be affected by it to the point it may cause kidding complications. Or if it's best to do now and have her pass the kids before they are too big. Would an ultrasound show if the kids are viable and will be ok?

4. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Active Member

Dec 27, 2014
    What medication was used?

5. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Just going by how lute works, I don't think it'd cause deformities in a kid.
    The corpus luteum is what holds the levels of progesterone up to support a pregnancy. Lute is supposed to get rid of that corpus luteum, causing the levels of progesterone to drop and the doe to abort. If it didn't work, I'm not sure that the lute would have done anything to cause deformities.

6. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Oh wait-it wasn't lute. What was it?

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I think find out what you used and looked into it. If it's just like lute I wouldn't stress. I had a doe that I gave lute to and she still was pregnant and she kidded a nice healthy doeling. Was the drug something that started with DEX??? I don't have my bottle right here so can't give you the full name. I know it is known to cause them to abort as well as it being part of inducing a doe, if that was it I don't think it would cause any issues either

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Is it possible she was bred again after the lute?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Find out the name of the drug.

10. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    No possible way she was bred after drug was given. Still waiting for name from vet but works exactly like lute.

11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Estrumate, maybe?

The "dex" drug is called dexamethasone. It is a steroid.

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I've had lute and estrumate not work. So it is possible and at this point I would just let the pregnancy go.

13. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes let the pregnancy happen. I don't understand why you guys lute pregnancies because they breed a buck you don't want them to. I'm not trying to be rude I'm just trying to understand why you guys think this way.

14. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014

Most people that I see on here do it if a very young doe(think 4 months) accidentally get bred. I'd also do it if I had a very great doe of one breed that got bred by a different buck. I've never done it but I can think of more scenarios too.

15. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Yep. Very young does bred, does bred back to back, an extremely unwanted cross, and small does bred to large bucks are all likely reasons to lute.

16. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    Yes mine is a small doe to a large buck. Buck jumped in with them. I had bred her the day before to the Buck I wanted but then the Buck got in. We terminated to stop kidding problems with our little does and have since sold the buck (won't keep a jumper!)

17. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    So she is half way through pregnancy. Today is Saturday and my vet is talking to other vets to try and figure out what to do in the best interest of the doe

18. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Oh man. Praying for the best for your doe. I had a Mini bred to a standard (total accident, caught too late to lute) and she delivered fine - it was harder than usual for her, but nothing disastrous happened.

19. Damfino

Damfino Active Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The hormones that cause abortion will not harm the kids if they didn't successfully end the pregnancy.

To JK's question about why anyone would Lute, I had to use it for the first time this year after my neighbor's Nigerian buck got loose and bred several of my does. I breed registered full-size dairy goats and packgoats. I want nothing to do with minis and I'm not going to waste a whole kidding season on goats I have absolutely no use for and that I'd have trouble selling.

20. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Active Member

Dec 27, 2014
    My very small and very young doeling was accidentally bred last fall. She is the only daughter I have from my old girl that just passed away.

I felt that letting her continue the pregnancy was a risk to her life. Her life was more important than the kids she was possibly carrying. At the point in pregnancy you use lute the "kids" are a group of cells.

Now I think aborting now would be very hard on the does health and I don't know that it would be safest for her.

Have vets on stand by for a c section...

The medication shouldn't have affected the kids in utero.