Dream come true or...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by luvmyherd, Mar 15, 2017.

1. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    ...Nightmare?:ponder:

Many of you on here know my husband and I have been wanting to move our goats and get in some serious travel. Our plan had been to take them to our son’s property where they would still sort of be ours. We moved some of them up there and the adults were not happy like we had hoped. Being almost city raised; those mountains are a scary, nasty place. (I had imagined them romping through the mountainsides living like wild goats.) Being born and raised here and never knowing anyone but us; they spent a lot of time hiding in the shed.

Just this week I had kind of come up with a plan to keep our property and our two favorite goats (who we could not bring ourselves to butcher), let them skip a year of breeding and then see where we were at next year.

Then, today, while I was out in the front yard with them a man came up and asked me if I wanted to sell any of them. We talked for quite a while and he seemed very interested and responsible. I had a good feeling about him. I was really worried that if I sold them I would feel guilty and worry about them all the time. Although we never know for sure, with the price he offered me; I am sure they will be well taken care of and not be neglected or abused. Also, they will be living in the same general area where there is no scent of bear, mountain lions, coyotes and bob cats. It is just happening so fast that I couldn’t really take it all in. I told him I would think it over, talk it over with my husband and call him tonight. He wants to come get them in the morning.

As of right now I am thinking I will offer him Angel and her twins, Twinkie and her buckling and one of StarryNight’s bucklings. Then if he wants, he can come and get StarryNight and her other two in June just before we leave on our big trip. That way we can still have fresh milk up until then and time to fill the freezer as well.

I really just needed to type this all out to see if it makes sense. I would also appreciate input and/or encouragement. We really want to travel for a few years. Then if we feel like settling down again we will get Nigerian Dwarfs as we spend way too much money on hay and have way more milk than we can use.

Thanks for listening.

And just in case this all goes down; my last herd update for 2017:

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Go for it.

3. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Thanks

4. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Active Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Sounds good :)

5. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    OMG!! Not much time to think about it. My husband called him with the price and he said he would be here in 20 minutes.
    I helped get them out to the front, hugged them and let the DH handle the rest.
    The barnyarn will seem so empty tomorrow.
    This is the 3rd time I have sold Angel. The other two fell through and I was so glad as she turned out to be one of my best
    girls both in temperament and milk production. I will miss her terribly.
    It just happened way too fast for me to get used to the idea. We looked at each other and said, "This is what we want, isn't it?"
    Now I just have StarryNight and her babies. Funny, I started with a herd of 4 and am ending with a herd of 4.
    I could not watch as he loaded them up and drove away. He did tell me he would take good care of them.
    I have to stick to my belief that him showing up just as we were trying to figure out what we were going to do had to be
    somehow providential. That makes me less sad.

6. sejoyce

sejoyce New Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Henry County, Virginia
    ❤ They'll be fine.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You will eventually be happy. It will take a while.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I do agree. ;)

9. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I cannot believe it has been a week! Though I still miss them I must admit that life is sure easier right now. Only one milker and I do not even milk her every day.
    StarryNight seemed a little lost at first; but now realizes life is more fun with just her and her babies. No more nasty herd queen butting everybody around. And she gets first shot at the best hay. We will see if I am able to sell her when the time comes.

10. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    Wow, I really cannot imagine my life without goats. That's a big decision. Glad everything went well for you and you found good homes.
    If you do decide to get back into goats, Nigerians would absolutely be a good choice! They don't eat near as much, or milk near as much, but still a good amount relative to how much they eat.
    Have fun traveling!

11. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I said that once at a really fancy party, (you should have see the looks I got :scratch::shocked: )that was 1983!

We have tried traveling while our son babysits. While nothing really bad has happened; it is just too stressful. We plan to be gone months at a time rather than weeks so making a clean break is the only sensible thing to do.

12. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    You've had goats that long? Wow!

13. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    We had an 8 year hiatus when we lived in Hawaii in the 90's. Other than that, yeah.
    It will seem really strange.