Everyone meet Ava!

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by Dayna, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    So we have our outside dog Tucker getting up in years. He's a rottie/pitt mix and has been a fabulous chicken dog and guard. Super sweet guy, but pees on everything so no go inside for him! lol

We adopted him 5 years ago so no idea how old he is. Our GSD is going on 13 years old now and is getting too old to play with him. And our house dog Zoey (tiny JRT) is just too high strung for him.

So we interviewed a few adult dogs from the local rescue and all of them ended up being chicken killers.

Then the rescue called with an idea. I said NO PUPPIES. I don't like puppies. I mean, they are cute but SO MUCH WORK.

Well.... they had a litter of 2 week old shar pei/shepherd mix puppies dropped off. Fast forward to last week, we adopted Ava just 4 days shy of her 8 week birthday on the day of her spay (what an introduction poor girl).

Next Tuesday we're having a very awesome dog trainer start here at the house with 4, 90 minute sessions. Then once her vaccines are up to date we'll go to group classes. This trainer trains dogs and other exotic animals for television and live shows. She knows her stuff and uses positive reinforcement methods.

So please welcome Ava, our newest addition and at the very least a chicken guardian dog and playmate to Tucker. :) We don't know how big she's going to be. But on her 8 week birthday (Sunday) she was 11 pounds even. Everydog loves her but the little house dog, who actually tried to play with her once now instead of growling. So she's growing on everyone. I never thought I'd have a puppy... But so far potty training is way easier than I remember when our GSD was a puppy! This girl has not pooped inside yet once! She barks, I take her out, she pees and poops, and I praise her and bring her back in. A few pee accidents, but I have hard floors so no biggie. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Super cute!

3. macmad

macmad New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Sweetie!

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh I'm in love with Ava!

5. billiejw89

billiejw89 Active Member

adorable!

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    She is adorable :)

7. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    The trainer wants me to come up with 5 written goals of the one on one training.

I'm thinking

#1 "Come"
    #2 "Drop it"

Not sure what else. No tricks, just working commands. She'll learn sit and all that in puppy class (or I can just teach it)

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Leave it

9. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    How cute! How about lay down?

10. Karen

Karen Member

"Wait" is a good command, useful in many, many situations. Wait before crossing a street, wait before eating one's supper, chasing that duck, etc.,

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Come
    Wait
    Leave it
    Take it
    Sit
    Off (for jumping on people)
    Down (lay down)

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So cute!

13. bamaherd

bamaherd New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Our lab will "dance" by standing up and putting his front paws in your hands. "gimme 10" While sitting he'll tap your hands with his front paws. "shake" he will shake on whichever side you indicate.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    How cute. :)

15. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Well Ava is growing like a weed! And so smart. She already knows:

Sit (verbal and hand signal and will sit even from a laying position)
    Lay (verbal and hand signal)
    Shake
    Wait
    Drop it
    Leave it
    Come
    Inside

toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.
  16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    That is awesome :)

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    "Back off" is invaluable in a livestock situation.

wifeof1 likes this.
  18. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    I've been using "leave it" I guess as "back off". At least in regards to chickens. lol

wifeof1 likes this.