Excited to be on board!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bekkidotes, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Hello everyone!

My name is Bekki; I live in Iowa and I'm a new mother to three adorable goats (all miniature males). We (my SO and I) only keep them for companionship and lawnmowing at this time, but we do have aspirations to try our hand at breeding our beloved NDs one day.

Our two NDs, Herc and Tanner, are 4 months old now; they came from a wonderful dairy farm where they were sold as a bonded pair and love people.

Our miniature Boer goat, Cappuccino, is very sweet and has a great story of how he came to be with us. A meat goat farmer we found in Iowa had purchased an "open" Boer doe. It turns out, not so much... three months later she gave birth to the little 50 lb runt that we know and love. :) He didn't know what to do with him, but kept him for a year until Cap decided he wanted to use his small size and escape artist abilities to break into the does pen again and again and again. I'm not even sure if he could breed a regular Boer doe due to his size but he apparently was very motivated to try!! :laugh: The farmer got so sick of it he offered us little Cap for free if we would only drive up and get him away from his does ASAP! He is quite the escape artist if females are around, but we love him and that hasn't been an issue at goat-themed sausage fest that is now my backyard. :-D I told my dad this story and his addition was, "Well, if they didn't know the doe was pregnant, it seems like your goat's dad was quite an escape artist, too." ;)

I've *tried* to attach some pics of our little family, we will see if they work!

Ultimately, I have a secret interest in starting a little homestead or a hobby farm in a few years, but I am grad school bound this fall so I am trying SO HARD not to get too carried away before I get more busy than I've ever been in my life. So it's mostly male goats, continuing to garden, and enjoying nature as much as possible for me at the moment. :) All in all, it's really great.

Nice to meet you all!!

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Welcome to TGS!

3. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TGS cute boys!!!

4. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    How cute!!

But be prepared for some major personality changes if Cappachino is still uncastrated by age 1. I'm warning you because I wish somebody had warned me!:ram:

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Welcome :)

6. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Whoa, thanks for the advice, Catharina!!! We definitely were going to make him a wether because we don't want to raise meat goats but now I will hit the gas on banding him as his 1st birthday is coming up! BTW I read some of your post about your buck problems, that is insane! This is going to break my boyfriends heart, though; our two Nigerian Dwarves are 4 months old, and he looooooove love loves them for their personalities and wants to breed them someday... :think: Poor guy, now I have to tell him keeping them intact runs the risk of them getting mean! I knew to brace myself for the "funky buck" smell but not that haha!

7. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    If you want a buck that's fine, just read ahead on it. They are all about herd status because the winner gets all the girls. I didn't recognize early challenges because I really had no idea about bucks. I thought they were just bigger, stinkier goats. Most start changing towards their first birthday. They don't do stuff to be mean, they do it because their instincts tell them they need to be the top goat. Since I didn't know he was challenging me when he was 1, he thought he would get to be the boss. Now that he's almost twice as big, it's a lot harder to convince him he's not the boss than it would have been when he first started rearing up & showing off in front of me, or "accidentally-on-purpose" bumping me when he walked by.

My buck has tons of personality & is very entertaining, not to mention very pretty, so he does have good points as well as bad. Lots of people have bucks & manage them just fine, & I still hope to be one of them!

Make sure it's still safe to band the others at one year--you may need to use another method.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Let me be the first to tell you not all bucks are bad! My boys are as sweet as can be! All are intact and ready to breed and all are my buddies! My buck Duke is my biggest bud and he loves to play and sometimes I'll play with him but he does get carried away and all I've got to do is say NO and he normally stops. You just have to teach them you're the boss. My boys know I am but they also know I respect them and the respect me back. If not their head go all the way to the ground and get a tap on the nose with me saying NO and that fixes the problem right off the bat. So don't take it as oh I've got to fix them super fast cause they can get aggressive. No I've seen wethers get agressive. If it's in their personality to be mean they'll be mean! :)

9. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    Welcome to TGS! We're glad to have you:)

10. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the advice guys!! My large animal vet recommended banding for the almost-one-year-old and said she recommended that specifically because he was older... I've never banded anything before so I was planning on having her come do it and watching (my background is human medicine and it's ALL about "see one, do one, teach one" so I have that drilled into my head lol!) I also wanted her to prescribe me some epinephrine because my 4 month olds were not CDT vaccinated and I am concerned about the (very small) chance they might be allergic to it when I give it to them. It's good to know pet bucks are possible (albeit trickier)! I've been doing research and found that bucks tend to live much shorter lifespans due to the stress of rut, but do you guys find this is partly reduced by taking good care of them? I've heard that often bucks aren't treated as well as the does but I plan on treating my boys like gold whether I neuter them or not. :)

11. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    To be honest I treat my boys better than my does! I mean I don't beat anyone but my boys do get loved on more and if I feel they aren't healthy enough to breed they don't.

12. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Glad you have a good goat vet! That's a real challenge for many of us!

Of course JK is right-not all bucks are the same! I'd hate for you to think that everyone's buck is attacking them just because mine did. It's just an individual problem that I probably could have prevented early on, & posted about to get help.

I think you're on to something there about bucks not always being treated as well as does & wethers, & I bet it's often due to folks having a harder time managing them. They are so big & strong! But that won't be such a problem with your Nigerians. Something I also wonder about is the stress of being kept alone. Goats are not meant to be solitary animals. Now that's just my personal thoughts--it would be very interesting to hear from people who keep bucks in all boy groups as well as the few like myself who keep them with their ladies most of the time, as well as people who give each buck his own pen. I'm always interested in learning more about bucks.

13. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Thanks so much, guys!

I've definitely read up on goat aggression and it turns out my tiny guys are doing a few things I need to talk to my boyfriend about so we can nip it in the bud, so I really appreciate you steering me in the right direction! I was never raised around farms and had about 10-12 dogs in my childhood home over the years, so I'm working on learning the differences in goat and dog behavior. :?

Most of what they are doing (they're crowding the gate when I arrive, and jumping on and crowding me when I have food for them) wouldn't phase me with a happy lovey dog, but I'm really glad to know this is bad social form and something I need to work on for my goats. I've been pushing on their chests (never their heads!) when they jump on me and only feeding them treats when they are on all fours, I'll have to figure out a way to keep them from crowding the gate now... I've reviewed some videos about how to train goats to back away from you on cue, wish me luck!

Once again, I really appreciate all you guys' help! You guys are great!
    :thankU:

14. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Water spray bottle is incredibly effective at stopping naughty goats. :)

15. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    I think how tightly wound your buck is would contribute to stress too. Some are insanely driven breeders while others are really laid back.