Feed

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Clehmanktm57319, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Clehmanktm57319

Clehmanktm57319 Potato chip farm

Aug 6, 2016
    pitts pa
    Are my goats normal or weird
    I have 2 does 2 bucks and one weather all are pygmys or Nigerian dwarfs . I was wondering about treats and feed my goats do not like anything except goat feed , nutri fill and hay I have tried all kind of. Treats and other feed they turn their noses up at beet pulp, veggies cheesies marshmallows anything is this normal and should I care they are very healthy and happy

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Some goats can be picky. What is nutri fill? Do they have access to free choice loose minerals?

3. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Animal crackers? People animal crackers-cookies!

4. Karen

Karen Member

I would not worry too much. Frosted or plain mini wheats - have you tried those? ;) Better picky than eating things they should not!

5. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Raisins & tortilla chips are supposed to be popular. Mine line fresh leaves, banana peels, fruit....

6. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Banana peals? The entire peal? :scratch::)

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California

Yep leaves are the only think I know all of them will eat. I'll even go out to catch one and just pull a branch down and they all come running......a windy day I find very amusing lol
    But you can just use a little bit of grain as well. It doesn't have to be a big handful just a little in the palm of your hand. That's another for sure way to get my hands on them or just to show my pets they are loved

8. Clehmanktm57319

Clehmanktm57319 Potato chip farm

Aug 6, 2016
    pitts pa
    Nutri fill is a bagged chopped hay grain and a little molasses they do love this but we only feed a hand full, didn't eat bananas or veggies they do like leaves an we give them lots of branches in the summer but we don't have any now they will also eat a little pine . I guess they are just picky an will just give them what they like I was trying snacks to try to get them to take a copper chelate capsule without buy a bolus gun. They also have free choice minerals an I give them apple cider vinager in their water

9. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    If it helps, we have given our goats shelled peanuts at times. Hillbilly, our buck loves peanuts! :ram:He will do anything to get a peanut in the shell!!!!

So, I have opened the peanut shell enough to pop one nut out and slide a capsule in for him! This last time he didn't even crunch the pill at all! He was so excit d, as always to get the peanut...he didn't know it was loaded with h a copper bolus!!!

10. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California

I know! Stinking winter taking leaves. I can always get a goat that is off feed to eat leaves and just had one but no leaves! I was actually thinking next fall collect a whole bunch of them.
    But that's why I don't even try attempting to slip my goats boluses. I have ones that will eat this, or ones that will eat that and ones that will steal the shy ones treat. I just get down to business and be a mean butt and shove it down them in a balling gun. After the first week of trying to sneak it to them they drove me crazy

11. Clairepaws

Clairepaws New Member

Feb 2, 2016
    FL
    That is so weird, my goats are little foodies LOL they LOVE just about any fruit, veggie, cracker, chip, treat I offer.
    Their favorites are tortilla chips, kettle cooked potato chips, apples, grapes, peanuts, and peppermints.

12. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Wow, you are a total genius!! :applaud: I have GOT to try that one, whether they even need blousing or not!

13. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    No genius, but after I read about the peanuts in the shell as an acceptable treat....well, I was on that one! Our boys always seem to have them around, and I love the little treat idea for the animals we raise and pets we have. I figure everyone deserves a treat now and then! The goats like them, but Hillbilly, our buck loves them! Others who have assisted at the farm have witnessed this too, and for whatever reason Hillbilly seems to be the favorite of these two guys who have helped out! This goat is endearing to them, as he is quite homely in my opinion! But, he responds to the peanuts!

Our other buck loves the animal crackers. We can give him a Replamin gel sandwich with the Replamin gel, or his extra selenium E gel On his animal crackers, but whatever works!

Good luck!