Feeding rice bran or flax to goats.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Aug 13, 2010.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Is is safe to feed rice bran or flax to goats? I have 3 wethers and 3 dry does. They get alfalfa pellets, a small amount of grain and free choice grass hay. I noticed the cal-phos ratio isnt a 2-1 balance. So would the alfalfa balence that with the calcium in the alfalfa?

2. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I don't know about rice bran, but I feed mine flax seed and they do great on it. OI feed an alfalfa / grass mox hay and a little rolled oats for a treat.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I was told that flax wasn't good to feed to goats because of the acidic nature of it, and the fact that goats are alkaline, it would mess with their digestion too much. As for rice bran, I don't think there would be anything wrong with it, it would be really high in starch though, just see how your goats would do on it.

If you're worried about the cal:phos ratio, what kind of minerals are you feeding?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I feed my goats crushed Flax seed and I have for years. I have never had a problem.

I will have to check but I do not believe it is acidic at all. But I better check, even so I have net had a problem, but I only give them about 1/2 cup crushed once a day.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I feed it as well.... no problems here ....but.... I don't feed a whole lot ....when I do... :thumb:

6. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Goathappy....right now I have the Manna Pro Goat Minerals.

7. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    My vet (a real goat vet here) suggested feeding my girl flax oil for weight gain. I don't know that she would do that if it messed up their digestion. She is a mostly goat and sheep vet so I trust her judgment.

Have yet to try it though!

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Read an article many yrs ago abut feeding flax seed to goats. Sorry dont remember any of it except its good...... Moderation in all new things fed to goats.

9. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I lost my little girl's favorite doe to rice bran. She may have eaten to much. Cut it back to feed to the rest and they got sick also. I put four hundred pounds in the trash can. It is real good for cows. Cows can also eat bad hay, goat gets sick.

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Flax is actually an alkaline food. Rice (all forms) are acidic. I Looked it up.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never used it but I too have heard that flax is good for goats - especially for their skin and coat. thanks Itchysmom for looking it up and letting us know :thumb: much appreciated :)

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    You're welcome Stacy...glad i could finally contribute!

13. Casa_la_Palma

Casa_la_Palma New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Going to wake this thread back up.... I have whole flax seed now that I feed the horses. I have two doelings, both 6 months old. One is a mini Mancha, about 50lbs. The other is a La Mancha/Nubian and she's probably around 70lb. Wondering how much flax to feed them and if I should? Once their older and I breed them, is the addition of flax seed also good for milk production and quality? Right now their diet consist of seperate feeders kept full of grass (Bermuda) hay and very leafy alfalfa hay,
    also 1lb. Of purina noble goat shared to last the day. In the mornings they get 1/2 cup of 7% sweet feed (the kind for horses) and a hand full of BOSS. They have sweetlix meat maker minerals free choice as well as baking soda.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You probably wouldn't feed more than a tablespoon.

15. Casa_la_Palma

Casa_la_Palma New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Thank you, What about milk quality and taste, does flax inhance the flavor or help production?

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I know it helps skin and coat but not sure about anything else.

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    It does increase the milk fat content.

18. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Active Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    I fed it for a year...goats loved it...I had no problems.

19. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I too feed flax to my goats, expecially when coats are scraggly or weight gain is needed..I mix ground flax with wheat germ and coconut oil...they love it..you canalso top dress your feed with ground flax...anything over done can mess with rumen function..always introduce new foods slowly allowing time to see how the goats do befire increaseing..
    Alfalfa will increase calcium intake : )

HA..did see this was an old post re awakend...I always miss there is a second page lol...info still good though lol

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  20. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I feed one of the other to my goats, they do great on both. Both have a high phosphorus, so they need something high in calcium to balance it out. Alfalfa works great, I feed alfalfa pellets anyway, so i don't worry about the imbalance. The rice bran I buy has added calcium so that it is close to a 2:1 ratio.

I use an ounce scoop per each goat of either the flax or the rice bran meal.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013