Free Donkeys - Elgin, TX

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by mistyblue, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have a friend in Elgin that has been hit hard by this drought and now her well has went dry. She has 16 donkeys that need new homes, she has no water and no food for them. There are jennies and jacks, adults and yearlings runnings together so I am sure some of the jennies are possibly bred.

The are going free as the are already looking bad and she does not want them to starve to death. They have been around goats, as well as her LGD's.

If interested please let me know, also, I do not know how tame they are.

Jennifer Stewart
    Lazy J Dairy

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I wish she was closer - I could probably help out when I got settled in in a couple weeks .... gah! I feel so bad :(

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    Oh no! Our family would never take on a donkey (besides we're too far away), but I will pray that someone comes along soon. :pray:

4. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We have talked about taking 1 or 2 but I am worried that it would just overextend us. We have already taken 6 of her goats, so that puts us at 20 goats, and 5 horses plus the 4 dogs. Right now we are ok but I fear anymore and we would be in a bind ourselves.

I did get some news from her this weekend, another friend has offered to take several and help her try to find them homes.

5. Good that another friend is able to help.
    Do not overextend yourself! You have to do what is best for you and your current animals. It is great that you would like to help but there is a limit for everyone and you know yours.

6. prairiegoat

prairiegoat New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I might be interested in a couple of donkeys. If you could send me your friends contact info. My wife and I are thinking about getting some goats this spring. We could use a couple of donkeys to guard over them

7. DavyHollow

DavyHollow New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I wish you were closer to take a donkey or two! We were thinking about guard animals, a donkey would be perfect, especially free. I wish you were closer!! Good luck on finding things!

8. Kfaske78

Kfaske78 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Does she have anymore goats? I can help her out with that if she needs.

9. arielmadison

arielmadison New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Bastrop, TX
    I'm interested in a jenny but I have a fencing situation that has to be solved first,
    How quickly are they going?

10. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    remember donkeys do best in pairs!

I have only one and it was a mistake to get just one.

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    This thread is 5 years old. I'm sure the donkeys all found homes long ago...

12. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    haha I never even looked at the start date. I just replied because it came up in the new posts button.

13. arielmadison

arielmadison New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Bastrop, TX
    Lol! I just realized that too, the last comment was a month or two ago so I guess that's what confused me, didn't even occur to me to look at the start date. I feel like a goober haha