GAINING WEIGHT

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RidgeMillFarmBoers, Mar 7, 2012.

1. RidgeMillFarmBoers

RidgeMillFarmBoers New Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Show season is coming up and our goats look really thin. We are worming reguraly and feeding every goat enough feed. How do we get our BOER goats FAT!!! :cake:

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    ARe you feeding fat to them? BOSS is good or vegetable oil....will also help give them a very shiny coat. Corn is a good fat producer. That's what we use for cows....and our goats get more corn than most peoples and mine are pretty fat (actually ALL of my animals are fat) That's the only suggestions I can really give.....sorry I can't help much more.

3. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Canada
    Just putting this out there.... be careful with corn. Unlike with cows, the fat from the corn does not marble into the meat with goats, it puts fat around the organs, something they don't need.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We'll need to be getting kids ready for the fair as soon as they start eating grains, etc. What about the use of grains, BOSS and something such as Calf Manna/Animax? I was thinking about doing this combo along with alfalfa hay for show kids.

5. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Dairy goat people have had really good luck with BOSS and rice bran for adding weight to a thinner doe, even when in milk with those things added to the feed as a top dress the does will be sleek and shiny and be fleshy enough that they are not fat, but you can not see their ribs. With your Boers, you should have really good results adding more fat to the diet especially if none are milking. You can also try adding more protein with Calf Manna.

With the Calf Manna, BOSS and Rice bran they are all generally fed as a top dress, so even though the cost seems high you don't have to feed very much which helps each bag last a little longer.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I bought this 'show goat' feed from tractor supply last year with my 2 bucks (also with calf manna) and they gained almost a pound a day. Ill try to get an actual name for you. Also what I noticed is they have a 'fat' time, then they grow up and get a little thin, maybe its your goats time to grow more up then out (?)

7. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Canada
    This is very true - I know several boer breeders that only sell during their "fat" time so they look better.

We have custom complete feed rations, so I'm no help with additives for weight gain.

8. Tenacross

Tenacross Active Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Make your main feed ration a goat feed with Rumensin in it. It's not just good at controlling coccidia, though it's good for that too. It helps
    them gain weight.

9. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA New Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    We use a product which is called something like fast forward fast fat which is great! I think its made by Moorman's - I will see if I can find out if that's the name or if its something different. Its also a multi-species supplement I think.

10. RidgeMillFarmBoers

RidgeMillFarmBoers New Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Our main problem is our boer bucks gaining weight. You can see thier ribs and thier gettin enough feed everyday. We worm every 2 weeks or so also.

11. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Have you had a fecal done on them? I would have a vet run a fecal and check for coccidia. You may try to put them on a medicated show goat feed to prevent coccidia if they don't have it. If they do, treat them first them start them on a medicated feed to help keep them from getting cocci again.

12. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Canada
    I would get a fecal done, that much worming seems a bit excesive, you will end up with worm resistance, especially if your not worming for the right worms or underdosing.