Gender ideas???

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by JK_Farms, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I have a Rhode Island Red chicken that I thought was a hen but is starting to look like a rooster! I named her Nevaeh or Navon if it's a boy. It's about 17-18 weeks old! Then I have a Orpington named Nutmeg that I aware is a hen but people are telling me it's a rooster!!!!!! I bought a rooster cause I was supposed to have 11 hens but now I'm afraid I've got 3 roosters! I would love your help!!!! IMG_20170804_164606.jpg IMG_20170804_164556.jpg IMG_20170804_164214.jpg 0731171625b.jpg 0725171440a.jpg IMG_20170804_163919_1.jpg IMG_20170804_163931.jpg 0716171046.jpg

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

capracreek likes this.
  2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    If they are 17+ weeks, they are hens.

capracreek and Goat_Scout like this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Yep, hens.

capracreek likes this.
  4. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    The RIR is 17-18 weeks the other is 15-16 weeks! I'm hoping both are hens but I'm getting mixed opinions

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

capracreek likes this.
  5. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I would say hens.

capracreek likes this.
  6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hens. Roos cock their heads to the side.

capracreek likes this.
  7. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Active Member

May 21, 2017
    I would be willing to put money on both hens. Those are not even maybe roosters. Pretty girls!

I wanted to add that both of those would have pointy saddle feathers coming in if they were roosters. See how they are rounded off. Some breeds have roosters that are "hen feathered" but not these.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    capracreek likes this.
  8. jschies

jschies Member

Aug 14, 2014
    It is really hard to tell. The only way that I know if they are roosters or hens is if they get curled tail feathers. Hens should be built low and "poofy"--per our county extension agent. Roosters will be slimmer and the tail feathers will be long and curled a little. They grow so fast that you will know for sure very soon.

capracreek likes this.
  9. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    They both look like hens to me, too. Roosters usually are taller, with fluffier chest and tail feathers and much larger crowns and whatever you call those dangly things under their beaks. :p

10. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    ^^Waddles :)

capracreek and ShireRidgeFarm like this.
  11. Shaylatheyoungest17

Shaylatheyoungest17 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Verdigre, Ne
    Look like hen, I just look at the tail part, see if it curve up little and the feather tail sort of point up a little, means it hen, If it boy, it would be curve up bigger and with longer feathers tail. Sort of kinda like with ducks.

capracreek and Suzanne_Tyler like this.
  12. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I think y'all are right! It's just she started growing like my previous rooster did and I got worried! She's starting to look more like her sister which I'm happy about they are twins after all!

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

capracreek likes this.
  13. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    I agree hens - I hatched out two little eggs this year when my Americana starting to sit. I was so glad that they were both hens. She started brooding again the other day and this time I put 6 eggs under her so we will see if I can do it again!!! I was so thrilled to actually hatch out my own baby chicks.

14. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I think y'all are right about Nevaeh but Nutmeg is getting a big spur and I'm pretty sure she tried breeding one of my hens but she is so young

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

15. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    The biggest spurs we have ever had around here were on a pretty little red naked neck hen. :) If she is trying to mate the hens though...

If she is, indeed, a rooster, she will definitely have boy saddle feathers. The tail feathers aren't really a terrific indication but the saddle feathers are a definite. They will be long and very shiny. The practically glow when light hits them. Very easy to distinguish from a hen. I know she's still young but she should be getting them since she's fully feathered. He hackles would be the same super shiny feathers, as well.

16. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    She has very shiny green feathers in her tail I've noticed. I think she's 4 months would she be wanting to breed this early!?!? I've never had one try this early before

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

17. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Can you get some pictures of her tail area from above or the side? Rooster saddle feathers will also be more pointed, hens more rounded. The pic really looks like a girl but I can't see those feathers really clear. I am also blind as bat, which doesn't help a lot! Lol I have had some that matured pretty early. I have also had some girls that acted very manly. I have heard that hens/pullets will sometimes mount other hens but I haven't seen that.

18. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I will when I go to the barn thank you!!!

19. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    You are very welcome. I always have to help my mom when she goes into freak out over possible roosters (unlike me, she doesn't want even one!) so I have looked at lots of tail feathers. :)

20. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I have one but if she turns out to a he I guess I'll have two cause she's just the sweetest thing ever!