Goat Ate Milkweed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pixiefrogw, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Pixiefrogw

Pixiefrogw New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    My 3 month old pygmy goat ate 1/2 a leaf of Milkweed yesterday. This morning he had some poo stuck to his bum and in his fur, looked like he may have had some loose stools overnight. There is no evidence of diarrhea in the pen. He is eating and acting fine and I haven't seen any diarrhea. Should I be worried about the dried poo on him?

2. rosti

rosti New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
    I think if he only ate half a leaf he should be fine. However, I have had no experience with milkweed. Hopefully someone else can give you a surer answer.

3. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If all he's had was a slight bout of diarrhea he should be fine, some goats tolerate small amounts of toxins better than others. Prevention is best though so try to keep him from the toxic plants

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Most goats will stay away from milkweed.... dig the plant out because if you cut it it will grow back. 1/2 leaf will most likely just make the goat a little sick. I would give some pediolyte or gator aid to help with any dehydration.

5. Pixiefrogw

Pixiefrogw New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Thank you for the replies, he hasn't had anymore and has acted like his normal self all day. He does stay away from the milkweed now, they all do. We have been in the process of removing it, there is just so much of it here.

6. and it is oh so hard to get rid of!
    We have milkweed in a few of our pastures. Most mine just stay away from it. Some take a nibble and then decide it is no good and move on.
    Glad he is doing well; hopefully now he stays away.
    It is deep-rooted and spreads like wildfire. If you find a good removal technique let me know.

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Mine would always run and grab a rhodie leaf when they'd get into my yard..I think they just liked my response! Yelling running chasing....

8. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

My goats like and have eatten milkweed. I have in alot of places on my property. None of them have ever had a problem woth it.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Pixiefrog youre going to have to get some activated charcoal on hand. I havent had to use it yet, but it's there just incase.

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY goats! Did you blister their rear ends? :greengrin:
    There's a story like that about my late Auto at his birthplace doing the same thing as a kid. He'd wait for his human to be looking. :hair: