Goat drinking her own milk???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by still, May 16, 2013.

1. still

still New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    I was milking my doe yesterday. My daughter and I were tag-teaming and she was done with her side while I was still working on mine. She had her bucket in her hand and had it held up to where the goat could get into it and she drank every last drop of it!!! Has anyone heard of this? Will it hurt her? Why would she do that?? I thought it was the weirdest thing!!:eek:

2. GTAllen

GTAllen Goat Feeder

Jul 22, 2012
    Walters, Oklahoma
    They will suck their own teats sometimes.

3. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    goats love milk lol....its not harmful in small amounts but any chages to what she eats can effect her rumen ..some love milk to much they become self nursers so I would discourage milk treats..

4. still

still New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    LOL!! That's crazy but interesting. Crazy goats!:rolleyes:

5. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    We feed about a cup back to the girls with each milking. Only one of my does refuses her milk. I think she feels it's "gross". Lol

6. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    That is something I didnt know , lol
    How funny is that :p

7. still

still New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    I wonder if it would good for putting weight back on her? Lol

8. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    It is, yes! It's super healthy for her, and actually reintroducing her own bacteria in her body that's she's been exposed to helps her immune system.

9. still

still New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas

Great.....maybe I'll start giving it to her when I'm done! Who knew she would be able to feed herself!! LOL:D

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I let my girls drink their full milking (or as much as they want) about once a week. My saanens love it, my nubians dont want it. I find it really helps them maintain their condition during peak lactation, especially first lactation does. Yes there are some does who suck their own teats but so far I havent seen that feeding milk encourages this.

You do want to make sure all does in the herd are CAE -ve. This is one way CAE can spread - does who love milk accidentally getting the milk from a positive doe in the parlour or at a show.

11. still

still New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    I'm about to test my girls.......they are both Nubians.......the other one wants nothing to do with it.

I think it's so strange.......I wonder if it would hurt if I just let her drink however much she wants after I milk her everyday.....I may have to research it :)

12. Shazzles

Shazzles New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Australia
    We had a goat that would drink from her self. Lived till the ripe old age of 18 :). So def didn't hurt her ;)

13. still

still New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    18!!!! Wow! That's very impressive! I think I'm going to let her have some everyday and just see!

14. Shazzles

Shazzles New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Australia
    Lol she was a strange goat. I could freak friends out with her by going into her paddock and getting her to "attack" me. All trained of course.