Goat pulling out tail hair...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Sep 4, 2009.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    One of my does will not leave her tail alone!

She keep pulling the hair out...It's to the point were one side of her tail is completely bald. Not sure why she is doing this...the skin looks fine...and the only place she is pulling hair out is her tail. This started about two weeks ago, and I cannot get her to quit it. She's fine otherwise. Is she neurotic or am I missing something?!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when dogs lick their paws or chew themselves it usual means they have an allergy -- I wonder if this is sort of the same idea....

how long have you owned this doe for? have you actually seen her biting her tail?

3. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I thought about an allergy...she doesn't have any other symptoms tho...and the skin's not red or flakey like a hot spot or anything... :shrug:

I've had her for over a year...and yeah I've definitely seen her chewing on her tail...mostly on the left side of it.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It could be an allergy or it could be a bacteria infection. Even if you dont see anything it could be itchy feeling to her. Try spraying some listerine on it. This always works for my horses when they are itching.
    beth

5. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought of using mouth wash...but I guess it is an antiseptic. I might have to try that and see if it helps.

I have washed it with iodine and put bag balm on it a couple of times...I thought that would have taken care of it...but nope.

I actually hope that it is an allergy or stubborn skin infection and not some kind of strange compulsion...

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How are things going with your doe?
    beth

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I saw one of my guys pulling his tail hair out the other day, but I just wormed them and tought maybe the wormer was making him itchy :shrug: . What about mesquitoes(sp/) biting.....they are absolutely horrible here right now!

8. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Those are good ideas...the thought did cross my mind that she might have had a bad reaction to a bug bite. Suprisingly, we actually have a lot less mosquitos and deer flies now than we did earlier this summer. In July they were so bad I didn't even go outside without long sleeves, pants, a hat, and a mosquito net on my head (bug spray did not work!)...not exactly the most pleasant thing to be wearing all those clothes in July. The poor goats wouldn't even come outside.

Well, I haven't seen her chewing on it and it does not look any worse. I guess I won't really know if it's better until the hair starts to grow back. I hope it grows in fast because right now she has a little rat tail and it looks hideous!

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We are dealing now with what you dealt with in July! I don't go outside without spraying myself down and my boys won't go outside for very long, before they are back in huddled up in the corner of the barn.....I have a fan blowing on them to help blow the pest away!