Goat winter pen, a mere $22 ! Lots of pics

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by CapriGem, Nov 12, 2011.

1. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA
    I do not have a barn. I started out with a doe and her wether brother, they grew up with an oversized dog house in a nice sized pen.

Fast forward a few years and now I have 7 does. They needed a nice dry draft free winter home.

My husband actually suggested we build them a pen in his garage, I almost fainted..lol.

I have been collecting things like scrap lumber and odds and ends.

My dad dropped off some massive shipping boxes and a really tall/long table from his manufacturing job. He also gave me an older heavy duty chainlink gate.
    And he dropped off a part of a form (like a big wooden platform with no legs) from a bridge job he was on.

We broke down the wooden boxes and were able to get 10 foot planks/boards from them.

We had other lumber like 2X4s and 4X4s from other structures we had torn down. Plus other assorted building materials.

I had my friend (i got my 1st goats from her) come over and we built this in one afternoon.

I did buy 1 box of screws, cheese/meat tray, and some crackers.

Building materials: free (recycled)

Screws and snacks: $22

Safe place for my girlie goats: Priceless

Here it is from the outside.

[​IMG]

On one side we built a grain trough and a hay rack. the hay rack is an old side off a crib that I had saved thinking it could be useful.

[​IMG]

Here is the table set on top of the wooden form (to keep them up off the concrete floor).
    The table seems to be a little too high for them to jump onto,
    at least in their current conditions (pregnant).
    We closed in the sides etc. to keep out drafts and make it cozy.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic from the opposite corner showing the door.

[​IMG]

Here you can see under the table and water buckets (will be putting the heated bucket in soon).

[​IMG]

Here is a view from above.

[​IMG]

Another view from above.
    My littlest girl (not bred!) named Sweet Peanut is the only one who notices me taking picters from a ladder outside the pen.
    The others are too busy taking their new hayrack for a test drive...lol.

[​IMG]

This pic shows the grain trough and hay rack. All the girls are able to use the same hay rack because it is long enough that everyone has room to have their "space".

[​IMG]

Here Nutmeg and Lily are telling me how much they like their new digs.
    They are peeking out of the space I left to be able to grain and hay them with out entering the pen.
    It sure beats fighting to get in the door and then being attacked by 7 goats while trying to get the grain out of the pail and into the feeder!

[​IMG]

The white stuff on the floor is shredded paper (also a freebie). I will be putting shavings in, the paper was just temporary bedding so I could get them settled in.

The morning after I moved them to this new pen I woke up to snow blowing sideways!

I think I will give them a night light and put in their heated bucket and I will be done...at least til it is time to clean!

2. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    Re: Goat winter pen, a mere $22 !

Wow! You did a fantastic job! And just in time, too. :)

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Re: Goat winter pen, a mere $22 !

Nice job! The girls look right at home...comfy digs!

4. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    WOW! That's an awesome freecycle job!!! Love it!

5. Burns Branch Boers

Burns Branch Boers New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    North Texas
    This is awesome! Congrats that you were able to be so resourceful! You have yourself a free mini barn! LOL!! It really is neat, comfy and cozy!

6. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    That is Amazingly Groovy!!!! :cool:

7. Willow

Willow Senior Member

Great set up!! Love making something usefull from "nothing"! Your goatie girls are lovely and look thrilled with their new apartment. :cool:

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Nice pen. The goaties look really happy.

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Oh wow its so nice! Do they sleep in there at night and go out during the day?

10. Sweet!! They look happy!

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    VERY nice job!

12. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great job Jodi! And your girls look very pleased with their new home too :leap:

13. :thumb: That is real nice!!

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Very nice work........ :thumb: :hi5: