HELP My new goat has stringy discharge

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GypsyGoats, Apr 30, 2011.

1. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    I need help. I just bought a goat at a sale about one month ago and it looks young and doesnt look pregnant to me? I dont even know what breed it is. Its marked like and oberhasli but smaller than my nigerians. I went to check on them and one has a long string hanging out that appears creamy most the way down and possibly blood at the end? Is this a heat? or is she pregnant and I just cant tell. Her udder hasnt seemed to change at all? I am terrible about feeling for movement because I dont know the difference between stomach movements and a kick. Any suggestions or ideas? Is there anything other than pregnancy that would cause this? thank you Sorry I dont know how to post this anywhere else.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I am assuming it is coming from her vulva right?
    Because if it is coming from her bum...it would be tapes...

Does she have a bad odor coming from her vulva?

Can you get pooch pics.. tail up....an udder shot.. also side shot of her rear area... as close and clear as you can get?

Is she acting normal?

3. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It could be a heat, when my youngest doe had her first heat at 5 months old, she had a snot like string that was long and sticky. That was the first and last time I'd seen her have it.

A pic of the area under her tail would help determine if she is in fact preggy, does have definate changes to their "pooch" during pregnancy.

4. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    Thank you so much for replying. It is coming from her vulva, and I thought of the possibility of heat but do they go through heat in the spring? She is abnormally friendly I think but isnt flagging or anything like that. I will be back with pictures soon but I need to charge up the camera.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Your welcome ...we will wait for the pics... :wink: :hi5:

6. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    Sorry no picutres yet but I have been watching her most of the day. She now has blood on her tail. Her vulva seems to be swollen. she also seems to stretch alot and occasionally itches her side but no pawing or anything like that she doesnt appear to be in any pain. I will be going out now to get pictures.

7. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    She sounds pregnant, but I've never had one have blood before kidding.

8. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    Ok I couldnt figure out how to get them on this post so I tried up loading them to photobucket http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g375/Gypsygoats/ she does not seem to like the wether in with her and will but him but likes her little friend.. it is stringy bloody discharge?? she does not "look" pregnant but doesnt act like shes in heat either...

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    That is bizarre... she looks really poofy in the vulva ...as if she is preggo....
    She also looks posty.... her belly isn't that barreled..........Let's see what others think...

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    To me that looks like she aborted not very long ago...possibly even at the sale yard. :shrug: And her body is cleaning out her system like a doe would do after she kids. Sometimes you'll see that bloody discharge off and on for a week or two after kidding.

11. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    I bought her on March 26th so Ive had her just over a month and she just started this yesterday.. Maybe bred before I got her and is aborting now?? Is there anything I would need to do to help her if that was the case?

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yes, that could be a possibility. Have you checked around her pen for anything? If you haven't take a look. You may find something or you might not. But I do think that appears to be from aborting. If she is/has aborted, i'd keep an eye on her. She should recover ok, but if you see any changes...like...hunching up, acting like she's in pain, loss of appetite, etc. you'll want to have a vet take a look at her or let us know how she's doing. I think she'll be alright, but just keep a close eye. ;)

13. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    What does her udder look like? I've had goats not "look" pregnant give birth several times. I hope this ends in a good surprise for you! :pray:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup agree looks like she is aborting early on in a pregnancy.

She looks like a small nigerian dwarf

15. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    She has nothing for an udder...she appears young and it is the same as the doe I bought her with.
    There is nothing really new today Still a little wet blood on her tail head.
    But I will let you know if anything changes or if nothing at all happens...
    I did check her pen very well but I see nothing...
    Im starting to rule out pregnancy I think and going for more abortion or a very unusual heat... but will keep checking for changes
    Thank you all for the help I really appreciate it

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    She was pregnant...her pooch still shows it.....the long stringy discharge is another indication...now the blood.... I am sorry she lost her babies... very sad.... :( :hug:
    With heat... they don't bleed at all....