Hermaphrodite????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ProctorHillFarm, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

So this topic has been brought up a bunch of times- and I have been to the websites with pictures- but I wanted to get your opinions...

Okay- background info

We bought this doe bred as a yearling- she was supposed to be due in July- but due date came and went.. no kids
    So we lutalysed her hoping to be able to at least get fall kids out of her as a two year old, well the lutalyse didnt really bring on a strong heat cycle and she didnt get bred- no big deal there since none of them that I tried to get bred for fall took with the lutalyse.

So she came into heat early- a good heat- and was bred for Feb kids, I was really happy that her 21 day mark came and went with no signs of heat, I thought we finally got her bred....well at around 29 days, she went into a crazy screaming yelling standing at the fence flagging heat....ugh so we bred her again! (mind you we tried breeding her to at least 3 different bucks...so the buck isnt the issue)

We are at 30 days TODAY and I pulled her out to draw blood to send off to see if we finally got her to take....and while she was up on the stand I looked at her vulva and it really caught my attention, I cant believe I never noticed it before actually......

what do you think?? sorry the pics are so crappy- they were from my cell phone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Never noticed any buck like behavior- maybe when she is in a full heat- but they all do that.....

I will be pretty dissapointed if this doe is a he-she, but Im leaning towards the idea now

2. jesse300

jesse300 New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    VA
    It looks like she could have a bit he already in her.

If you have twin’s one boy and one girl will there likely be a hermaphrodite?

With my cattle heard there was a huge chance of the girl being sterile. I have automatically been assuming that any set of split sex twins were both headed for freezer camp. Well I run a large freezer camp operation any way so it dose not take to get on that list.

3. ProctorHillFarm

No- there isnt really an issue with free-martins in goats- they can have 2-3-4-5 even 6 kids, very rarely do you ever see an issue with sterility

This would be my first case out of....wow lots and lots of goats...

I guess friday could be the answer when I get the preg test back :sigh:

4. jesse300

jesse300 New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    VA
    You could try the willow stick or swing a chain. But yes the blood test is the best.

Yes I was trying to think of free martins but could not think of it. I have sent a bunch of goats that would have had a good chance of becoming replacements to the freezer.

5. ProctorHillFarm

6. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    As a newbie, I have no firsthand knowledge . . . but the picture you posted does seem similar to the link, with your doe's enlargement below the vulva perhaps being even larger or maybe the angle of your picture just makes it more obvious :shrug: Have you gone so far as to look for the bulb-like object they mentioned?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no goats can have mixed gender kids and they will not be sterile

Proctor Hill -- your doe since she did come into heat I am leaning towards her not being a Hermaphrodite but I havent studied this indepth so maybe they can still come into heat even if they are a Hermaphrodite

8. goatnoob

goatnoob New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    upstate New York
    wow I'm new to raising goats but I know quite a bit about them but I have never heard of a goat hermaphrodite before! :?

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Feel where her udder is and see if there are any hard knots that may be testes. You may also need to open the vulva a bit to see if there is a penis just inside. IF you find any of these you have your answer. Sometimes you can do an internal check to see if there is a cervix or a closed off wall. The cervix would be like a donut with a closed hole in the middle.

10. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    My hermaphro looks a bit like that. Mine is a little more "out there". One of the bigest thing we see is her teets. She just has tiny wether size ones. No where near the other girls size at the same age.
    I will tell you she is my best goat. She is being trained for packing and cart and she also let's me know when the other girls are in heat with out the blubbering and peeing of a buck. She smells better to and gives great kisses!

11. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I've never seen a hermy in person so can't comment except your photos do appear to show some irregularity.
    Were either of the parents polled? Sometimes you can get a herm even from a horned/polled combo.

12. ProctorHillFarm

As far as I know both of her parents were horned- and she herself is/was definatley horned

I wasnt able to really see anything "inside" though I wasnt able to get a very good look with her jumping around on me!
    Her teats are HUGE, so I dont think there is an issue there.
    I will have to feel around down there and see if I feel anything that shouldnt be there.

I cant really imagine she is a hermy- maybe only because I have never had to deal with it. But something is up with her I think.

Also- since the day we brought her home, she has had a constant clear discharge, it almost looks like water, and she sort of drips. I havent been able to put my finger on what it is....its not like a sticky gooey discharge and its definately not urine.... :scratch:

13. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    If you can take her to a good goat vet.

14. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    If you know anyone that does AI they can tell if she is able to be bred ( if she is not a hermaphidite(sp)

They have equipment to see if there is a cervix or if it just drops off.

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I didn't get my pics up of this Alpine girl of mine, like I promised. I'm almost sure she's a he/she. So, I'll put the pics I just got up here and we can compare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you can tell from these, I might have her tail "shadow" in the way.

BTW, that's not a "bean" stuck in there, sometimes "it's" inside and sometimes it's out enough that you can see "it". Note the bulgy area.

Proctorhill, compared to my girl, yours looks pretty normal to me.

16. ProctorHillFarm

Thanks for the pictures Di!! wow how odd!

I will know the pregnancy results tonight- fingers crossed.

Ive talked to some other folks who are good at pooch testing- and think her enlargement is due to her being bred- which would make sense since i never noticed her vulva looking like this before that I can recall.

I will let everyone know! :pray:

17. ProctorHillFarm

Well Squirt is not bred......4 breedings none of them taking........what do I do with her now :sigh:

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Any way her breeder will offer a replacement? Most breeders do that. . .

Find a good home for her as a pet w/o papers?

19. ProctorHillFarm

We have been in touch with her old owners (her breeders sold out a few years ago to the farm that we got her from) and they are willing to work with us- but we would be responsible for transport which stinks....I dont really want to have to shell out anymore money after all of this especially since we bought her "bred"......does that make sense?

I think they are also wanting us to try dosing her with cysterellin first before replacing her- can a 2 year old maiden doe be cystic anyway?

I think either way she has to go- I dont really have room for this type of breeding trouble.

A pet home is definately in her cards- sooner than later, Ive sat on her too long already.
    I have also thought about just throwing her in the buck pen for the winter...but on the off chance she actually did get bred, I would have to dna test 6 different bucks to find out who the daddy :ROFL:

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You could always just sell the kids as pets. :)